Intern, Porfolio Strategy & Construction
Make an impact at a global and dynamic investment organization
When you invest your career in CPP Investment Board (CPPIB), you join one of the most respected and fastest growing institutional investors in the world. With current assets under management valued in excess of $278 billion, and projected to reach $300 billion by 2020, CPPIB is a professional investment management organization that globally invests the funds of the Canada Pension Plan to ensure long-term sustainability. CPPIB invests in all major asset classes, including public equity, private equity, real estate, infrastructure and fixed-income instruments, and currently has offices in Toronto, Hong Kong, London, Mumbai, New York and São Paulo.
CPPIB attracts and selects high-calibre individuals from top-tier institutions around the globe. Join our team and look forward to:
- Being motivated every day by CPPIB's important social purpose and guiding principles
- Diverse and inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Stimulating work in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Accelerated exposure and responsibility
- Global career development opportunities
- A deeply rooted culture of Integrity, Partnership and High Performance
If you share a passion for performance, value a collegial and collaborative culture, and approach everything with the highest integrity, here's an opportunity for you to invest your career at CPPIB.
We are currently hiring Interns to join us for a four month period during the Summer Term (May - August 2017). The Intern will support the research and development needs of the department. Financial modeling, portfolio analysis, communication, and systems development of portfolio management tools are among the efforts to which the intern will be assigned to support. The intern opportunity will provide significant exposure to world-class portfolio management and construction activities. Candidates in an undergraduate program that will be returning to school in the Fall of 2017 are eligible to apply.
The Total Portfolio Management Department
The Total Portfolio Management ("TPM") department is responsible for the successful implementation of the new investment framework. These activities as primarily focused on the Strategic Portfolio, our long-term vision for the intended investment portfolio composition five or more years into the future. TPM also works with the Investment Departments to effectively characterize and allocate to investment strategies, with the aim of delivering to the Strategic Portfolio over time. TPM works on the total Fund daily investment cycle, including all the processes, systems, and data needed to structure the investment portfolio in response to the on-going flow of cash and exposures into and out of the fund. TPM consists of three groups: Portfolio Construction and Research, Portfolio Management, and Portfolio Engineering. We are looking for Interns in the Portfolio Construction and Research Group.
The Portfolio Construction ("PC") group within the Total Portfolio Management department is responsible for developing tools and providing analysis for determining optimal exposures to risk factors and advising on risk allocation to CPPIB Investment Programs.
The Portfolio Construction & Research ("PCR") group consists of four teams:
- The Investment Research team expresses the risk and return of investment strategies and develops a system of signals that helps align investment activity with total portfolio needs.
- The Portfolio Construction and Portfolio Strategy teams develop risk budgets and other top-down investment direction that helps drive business and investment planning.
- The Economic and Financial Forecasts team develops long-horizon return forecasts and establishes factor-based views of intended total portfolio composition.
- The Research Services team supports all CPPIB regions and departments with in-depth research, alerting and monitoring services, and access to news and information resources.
- Develop portfolio management tools and models and perform portfolio risk and performance analysis
- Support portfolio construction and portfolio strategy approaches that incorporate multiple risk modeling and portfolio optimization techniques, and portfolio construction decision making
- Develop oral and written presentations on portfolio management and construction activities
- Develop private investment models
- Other duties as required
Candidates in an undergraduate program that will be returning to school in the Fall of 2017 are eligible to apply. We look for candidates that have displayed academic success while balancing extracurricular activities, a strong skill-set in financial modeling, valuation and analytics, as well as good communication, interpersonal and relationship building skills. In addition, the strongest candidates often combine energy, enthusiasm, and intellectual curiosity, with demonstrated interest in investing.
If you have an interest in working with talented professionals in the financial industry in an environment of integrity, partnership and high performance then you should consider a career in Total Portfolio Management at CPP Investment Board.
To apply, please include a cover letter, resume, and transcripts (full unofficial version) by
February 10, 2017 at 9:00am EST.
At CPP Investment Board, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability. We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process.