Campus Contract (12 month), Portfolio Management, Total Portfolio Management
Make an impact at a global and dynamic investment organization
When you invest your career in CPP Investment Board (CPPIB), you join one of the most respected and fastest growing institutional investors in the world. With current assets under management valued in excess of $278 billion, and projected to reach $300 billion by 2020, CPPIB is a professional investment management organization that globally invests the funds of the Canada Pension Plan to ensure long-term sustainability. CPPIB invests in all major asset classes, including public equity, private equity, real estate, infrastructure and fixed-income instruments, and currently has offices in Toronto, Hong Kong, London, Mumbai, New York and São Paulo.
CPPIB attracts and selects high-calibre individuals from top-tier institutions around the globe. Join our team and look forward to:
- Being motivated every day by CPPIB's important social purpose and guiding principles
- Diverse and inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Stimulating work in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Accelerated exposure and responsibility
- Global career development opportunities
- A deeply rooted culture of Integrity, Partnership and High Performance
If you share a passion for performance, value a collegial and collaborative culture, and approach everything with the highest integrity, here's an opportunity for you to invest your career at CPPIB.
The Total Portfolio Management ("TPM") department is responsible for the successful implementation of the new investment framework. These activities as primarily focused on the Strategic Portfolio, our long-term vision for the intended investment portfolio composition five or more years into the future. TPM also works with the Investment Departments to effectively characterize and allocate to investment strategies, with the aim of delivering to the Strategic Portfolio over time. TPM also works on the total Fund daily investment cycle, including all the processes, systems, and data needed to structure the investment portfolio in response to the on-going flow of cash and exposures into and out of the fund. TPM consists of three groups: Portfolio Construction and Research, Portfolio Management, and Portfolio Engineering.
The Portfolio Management Group
The Portfolio Management ("PM") group manages total fund exposures on behalf of the Investment Planning Committee (IPC). We strive to achieve superior total fund returns by maintaining diversified exposures to asset classes, risk factors, geographies and FX. The PM group monitors and adjusts total fund exposures, with the aim of delivering the highest quality total portfolio consistent with the fund's return expectations and risk preferences, and in response to the on-going flow of cash and investments into and out of the fund. We believe that continuously evolving a high-quality portfolio will provide the best opportunity of maximizing long-term returns without undue risk.
Financial modeling, portfolio analysis, communication, and systems development of portfolio management tools are among the efforts to which the intern/co-op will be tasked. This opportunity will provide significant exposure to world-class portfolio management and construction activities.
Please note that this is a 12 month contract opportunity starting early May, 2017.
- Must have graduated by April 2017 and available to work for a 12 month period
- Working towards graduate degree in a highly quantitative field (e.g. applied mathematics, financial economics, physics, or finance).
- Familiarity with finance theory and quantitative techniques, as applied to portfolio management and construction
- Interest in financial and capital markets
- Strong programming skills (e.g. VBA, Matlab)
- Superior analytical and problem solving skills in addition to the ability to think independently
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated solid verbal and written communication skills
- Strong presentation skills with the ability to adapt approach to suit the audience
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work in teams, while also being self-motivated and able to work independently
- Strong attention to detail, prioritization and organizational skills required
- Ability to think critically and creatively, exercise good judgment, and have intellectual curiosity
- Ability to learn new concepts, and adaptable to changing priorities and new challenges
- Successful candidates must exemplify CPP Investment Board's guiding principles of high performance, integrity, and partnership
Role- specific accountabilities:
- Support portfolio management with financial modeling, portfolio analysis, and portfolio management decision making
- Support portfolio management in the design of the portfolio management framework and tools
- Develop oral and written presentations on portfolio management activities
- Help create key portfolio management reports and develop the solutions to effectively deliver these reports
- Ensure that portfolio decision-makers receive timely and accurate portfolio information
- Provide forward-looking analysis and commentary on portfolio risks and performance
- Other duties as required
To apply, please include a cover letter, resume, and transcripts (full unofficial version) by
March 3, 2017 at 9:00am EST.
Visit our LinkedIn Career Page or Follow us on LinkedIn.
At CPP Investment Board, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability. We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process.