Campus Contract (12 month), Portfolio Engineering, Total Portfolio Management
Make an impact at a global and dynamic investment organization
When you invest your career in CPP Investment Board (CPPIB), you join one of the most respected and fastest growing institutional investors in the world. With current assets under management valued in excess of $278 billion, and projected to reach $300 billion by 2020, CPPIB is a professional investment management organization that globally invests the funds of the Canada Pension Plan to ensure long-term sustainability. CPPIB invests in all major asset classes, including public equity, private equity, real estate, infrastructure and fixed-income instruments, and currently has offices in Toronto, Hong Kong, London, Mumbai, New York and São Paulo.
CPPIB attracts and selects high-calibre individuals from top-tier institutions around the globe. Join our team and look forward to:
- Being motivated every day by CPPIB's important social purpose and guiding principles
- Diverse and inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Stimulating work in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Accelerated exposure and responsibility
- Global career development opportunities
- A deeply rooted culture of Integrity, Partnership and High Performance
- If you share a passion for performance, value a collegial and collaborative culture, and approach everything with the highest integrity, here's an opportunity for you to invest your career at CPPIB.
The Total Portfolio Management ("TPM") department is building the capabilities to enable a consistent framework for managing a broad range of risks across the entire fund. These capabilities will further enhance the top-down component of our Total Portfolio Approach - specifically the efficient allocation of systematic risks (including better beta, liquidity, and credit risk) as well as active risk generated by the investment departments. Additionally, the department leads the design of the CPP Reference Portfolio, risk budgeting for the total active portfolio and evaluates the risk-return properties of investment strategies and emerging opportunities in the context of the total portfolio. TPM consists of three groups: Portfolio Construction and Research, Portfolio Engineering and Portfolio Management.
Portfolio Engineering Group
The Portfolio Engineering group ("PE") is responsible for ensuring that TPM has the analytical tools, robust infrastructure and data required to support scalable portfolio management and research activities in the context of the TPM investment framework. The Production team in PE is responsible for development of production quality system and standardized tools for the investment process and prototyping of new investment ideas.
We are currently recruiting for a Campus Contract to join the Portfolio Engineering - production team within the Total Portfolio Management department. The student will support the research, design and implementation of leading edge top down investment strategies in the TPM department.
Please note that this is a 12 month contract opportunity starting early May, 2017.
- Must have graduated by April 2017 and available to work for a 12 month period
- The ideal candidate will be enrolled in their 3rd year or above of their undergraduate degree or working towards a graduate degree in Computer Science, Finance, Economics, or related field
- Knowledge of modern portfolio theory, economics and quantitative techniques, as applied to portfolio management and construction is not required but considered an asset
- Strong interest in the financial markets, and portfolio management, trading, portfolio construction and/or asset pricing are desired
- Possess strong technical aptitude and/or practical experience working with software development and QA
- Enrolment in CFA program is considered an asset
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, in addition to attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated solid verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to think critically and creatively, exercise good judgment, and have intellectual curiosity
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work in teams, while also being self-motivated and able to work independently
- Ability to learn new concepts, and adapt to changing priorities and new challenges
- Successful candidates must exemplify CPP Investment Board's guiding principles of high performance, integrity, and partnership
Role Specific Accountabilities:
- Assist the Analyst in the prototyping and development of portfolio management system
- Contribute to the team effort of implementing the TPM investment process by ensuring the portfolio management tools are robust and maintainable
- Participate in various departmental projects and duties as assigned
To apply, please include a cover letter, resume, and transcripts (full unofficial version) by March 3, 2017 at 9:00am EST.
Visit our LinkedIn Career Page or Follow us on LinkedIn.
At CPP Investment Board, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability. We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process.