Make an impact at a global and dynamic investment organization
When you invest your career in CPP Investment Board (CPPIB), you join one of the most respected and fastest growing institutional investors in the world. With current assets under management valued in excess of $300 billion, and projected to exceed half a trillion by 2030, CPPIB is a professional investment management organization that globally invests the funds of the Canada Pension Plan to ensure long-term sustainability. CPPIB invests in all major asset classes, including public equity, private equity, real estate, infrastructure and fixed-income instruments, and currently has offices in Toronto, London, Hong Kong, New York, São Paulo, Luxembourg and Mumbai.
CPPIB attracts and selects high-calibre individuals from top-tier institutions around the globe. Join our team and look forward to:
- Diverse and inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Stimulating work in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Accelerated exposure and responsibility
- Global career development opportunities
- Being motivated every day by CPPIB's important social purpose and unshakable principles
- A deeply rooted culture of Integrity, Partnership and High Performance
If you share a passion for performance, value a collegial and collaborative culture, and approach everything with the highest integrity, here's an opportunity for you to invest your career at CPPIB.
The Funds team, based in Toronto and London, manages an over $40 billion portfolio focused on large- and middle-market buyout and growth private equity funds in North America, Europe and Latin America. Private equity fund investing represents a large investment platform for CPPIB, with significant strategic importance across the organization. CPPIB is one of the world's largest private equity fund investors and maintains relationships with more than 60 general partners globally including Advent, Apollo, Blackstone, Carlyle, CVC, Hellman & Friedman, KKR, Onex Partners, Silver Lake and TPG among others.
Reporting to the Managing Director - Head of Funds, the Associate plays a key role in making and managing private equity fund commitments. The Associate works as part of a team to evaluate, negotiate and execute potential private equity fund commitments, conduct analysis and research, prepare and present investment recommendations, and monitor and manage existing investments.
A) Analyze Investment Opportunities:
- Perform due diligence on private equity fund managers globally, including an assessment of track record performance and portfolio company investments, team quality and alignment considerations, and attractiveness of investment strategy
- Participate in extensive on-site interviews with the senior management and deal partners at private equity firms
- Complete public and private market benchmarking analysis of private equity track records
- Complete evaluation of underlying portfolio companies held in private equity funds, including review of valuations, operating performance and exit outlook
- Prepare investment recommendations in order to document deal team findings on key due diligence issues, throughout the investment approval process
- Complete private equity market reviews to compile and analyze track record information of prospective and existing managers
- Assist in the maintenance of private equity fundraising forward calendars in different geographies such as North America, Europe and Latin America
- Participate in external meetings with prospective and existing fund managers to review past performance, strategy, team, industry trends, and other relevant topics as required
- Conduct reference calls with portfolio company management, Limited Partners and other industry participants
- Attend and participate in Funds, Secondaries & Co-Investments investment recommendation meetings
- Assist in presenting investment recommendations to the Investment Partnerships investment committee and the Investment Department Decision Committee
B) Execute Fund Commitments:
- Assist with the overall execution of private equity fund commitments
- Liaise with investment partners (other Limited Partners) and advisors (placement agents, legal, etc.)
C) Monitor Private Equity Funds:
- Coordinate with Investment Finance group with respect to monitoring ongoing investments and verifying accuracy of cash inflows/outflows
- Monitor ongoing financial performance of funds and portfolio companies
- Attend annual fund meetings as required
- Assist in building and leveraging relationships with Limited Partners and other industry participants
D) Build the Team:
- Participate in and contribute to weekly departmental meetings
- Share knowledge by coordinating and entering information into centralized database for both existing and prospective investments
- Assist in recruiting activities, including liaising with universities, networking, sourcing candidates and interviewing prospective hires, as required
- Other relevant duties and projects as assigned
Education, Experience & Capabilities
- 3-4 years of experience in investment banking, private equity, consulting or other relevant areas
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in commerce or business administration
- Strong analytical skills, including deep command of Excel tools
- High degree of professionalism and integrity
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy in work output
- Ability to think critically and creatively, and exercise good judgment
- Ability to multi-task priorities from different deal teams and meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure
- Team player who enjoys a high performance culture
- Willingness to travel occasionally if required
Visit our Linkedin Career Page or Follow us on LinkedIn.
At CPP Investment Board, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process
CPP Investment Board does not accept resumes from employment placement agencies, head-hunters or recruitment suppliers that are not in a formal contractual arrangement with us. Our recruitment supplier arrangements are restricted to specific hiring needs and do not include this or other web-site job postings. Any resume or other information received from a supplier not approved by CPP Investment Board to provide resumes to this posting or web-site will be considered unsolicited and will not be considered. CPP Investment Board will not pay any referral, placement or other fee for the supply of such unsolicited resumes or information.