Financial Reporting Analyst
CMHC: Because What I Do Matters
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) helps Canadians meet their housing needs. As Canada's authority on housing, we contribute to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provide support for Canadians in housing need, and offer unbiased housing research and advice to Canadian governments, consumers and the housing industry. Prudent risk management, strong corporate governance and transparency are cornerstones of our operations.
Bring your financial reporting skills and your accounting expertise to this Financial Reporting Analyst position in Ottawa.
Internal growth and operational needs has created a new permanent full-time position in the Finance Division. As a member of the Financial Reporting team, you will be responsible for a range of activities within the CMHC framework of investing, borrowing and financial statement/report preparation, including the accounting, reconciliation, documentation and reporting of transactions and testing of data in the WallStreet Suite (WSS) and CMHC's Consolidation and Reporting Tool (SAP BPC). You will also participate or occasionally lead cross-functional project teams to improve the organization's financial performance and operations.
The intent of this advertisement is to identify and assess qualified candidates to staff both current and future permanent and contract positions in various divisions. We invite both English and Bilingual (English & French) candidates with a financial background to apply.
How You Will Be Contributing
- Implementing effective internal controls designed to protect significant corporate financial assets and recommending changes relative to new business products/processes.
- Conducting analysis, identifying and interpreting financial information pertaining to CMHC's investment portfolios that support accounting and reporting activities.
- Preparing monthly, quarterly and year-end reconciliations, financial statement notes and reports to assist with the analyses of Financial Statements.
- Preparing quarterly investment tax schedules for CMHC's Taxation team and communicating new instruments and policies as they arise.
- Maintaining timely and accurate accounting records, including the preparation of accounting entries, reconciliation of WSS balances to the General Ledger and summarizing financial instrument cash flows.
- Reviewing and recommending changes to International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and other internal policies and procedures to ensure proper compliance and the ongoing development of appropriate reporting measures.
- Investigating discrepancies between WSS and the General Ledger and identifying required system adjustments.
- Identifying and resolving problems in producing financial reports in WSS and SAP BPC as well as assisting in the testing stage of new instruments and other changes to implement in the systems.
- Assisting senior analysts and principals in their daily work such as presenting the financial instruments in the CMHC Quarterly Financial Reports and Annual Report.
What We Are Looking For
- A commitment to demonstrating CMHC values.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or in a related field.
- Minimum of three (3) years of relevant work experience and increasing responsibilities in a financial reporting environment OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated experience and skills in preparing monthly, quarterly and year-end reconciliations, financial statements and other related financial reports.
- Knowledge of general accounting principles as well financial instruments in accordance with IFRS.
- Knowledge of treasury and investment transactions; an understanding of derivatives, fixed income instruments, equities, money market instruments, and various types of debt and instruments.
- Strong ability to function in a sophisticated technological environment using tools such as spreadsheets, databases, treasury accounting applications as well as consolidation and reporting tools.
- Ability to keep abreast of emerging accounting, treasury and investment activities at all levels.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage several on-going and competing projects/demands.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact with various levels of management in a multi-tasking, deadline oriented and team environment.
- Post graduate degree(s) in the fields noted above and/or professional designations attesting specialty in the areas of accounting or finance (e.g. CPA).
- Demonstrated experience working with financial reporting softwares such Excel.
- Ability to work in both official languages (English and French).
Client Focus/ Innovation/ Valuing and Respecting Individuals
Analytical Thinking/ Communication (Presenting and Influencing)/ Efficiency/ Flexibility/ Maximizing Quality/ Teamwork
What CMHC Has To Offer
- Competitive Total Compensation package
- Competitive Annual Salary
- Comprehensive flex benefit program
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Eligibility for Performance Bonuses
- In-house learning and development opportunities
- Career Growth Opportunities
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- New Hire Mentorship Program
- Various onsite amenities
This job posting will be active until 11:59 pm EST on May 30, 2017, however, the competition may remain active until a successful candidate has been chosen.
- We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
- As part of our commitment to create an inclusive workforce which reflects our society, we are recruiting people from all backgrounds, including persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities and Aboriginal peoples.
- Selected candidates may be required to do a presentation or assessment as part of the interview. If so, they will be advised in advance. In the event that tests are administered, candidates will also be advised in advance.
- Candidates must be eligible for Reliability Clearance.
- Candidates who do not meet all of the position requirements may be considered in an under-fill capacity, in which case the person will be hired at a lower level than the position level.
- Note: We are currently recruiting for other finance job opportunities. To view and apply to these employment opportunities, please visit our website at www.cmhc.ca/careers.