Zoning Building Code Examiner
|Job Classification Title||ZONING BUILDING CODE EXAMINER|
|Job ID #||2280996 X|
|Section||Toronto & East York District|
|Work Location||CITY HALL, 100 QUEEN ST W|
|Job Stream||Buildings/Facility Operations|
|Job Type||Permanent, Full-Time|
|Salary/Rate||$42.04 - $46.08 / Hour|
|Hours of Work (bi-weekly)||70.00|
|Number of Positions Open||1|
Reporting to a Manager Plan Review, the incumbent in this position will examine plans and related documents submitted for building permit applications for compliance with Ontario Building Code, Zoning By-law and related regulations.
Specifically, the Zoning Building Code Examiner:
- Examines, corrects, signs and approves architectural, electrical, mechanical and structural plans and specifications for compliance with the Ontario Building Code and applicable law, within the timelines specified in the legislation. Ensures that materials and methods of construction meet approval standards of accepted construction practices
- Examines, corrects, signs and approves plans and specifications submitted for compliance with City zoning by-laws, related by-laws and other applicable law as outlined in the Ontario Building Code
- Prepares examiners’ notices and documents examination details. Inputs and updates divisional data base
- Liaises with applicants, owners, other divisions, agencies and levels of government
- Meets with City staff to discuss and provide comments on proposed zoning by-laws and site plans related to Site Plan Approval process. Determines which other divisions or agencies are involved in application approvals and ensures approvals are obtained
- Prepares and forwards examiners notice of non-compliance and actions required to comply
- Calculates permit fees, applicable charges and prepares required correspondence
- Approves applications for permit issuance
- Maintains records and answers queries respecting buildings, zoning regulations
- Advises inspection staff on related permit applications
- Performs site inspections on construction problems and provides technical advice
- Appears and gives evidence in court on Zoning Bylaws, Building Code and other regulations; attends Ontario Municipal Board hearings, Ontario Building Code Commission and Committee of Adjustment as an expert witness. Represents the division at various committees and meetings
- Performs mathematical calculations to evaluate land use restrictions such as lot size, density, landscaping, height, setbacks and angular plane, loading and parking requirements
- Assists the manager and other plan examiners with the co-ordination of phasing of building permits and the collection of approvals for conditions set out within required documents for clearing of applicable law requirements that must be met prior to the issuance of any building permit
- Views documents on file with the Committee of Adjustment to confirm that drawings submitted for permit application are substantially in accordance with those on file with the Committee of Adjustment. Checks transcripts when variances are missed to determine, among other things, if there was opposition to the proposal
- Reviews and provides written correspondence regarding proposed land uses for Licensing and LLBO applications, including permitted use letters
- Provides written and verbal comments to members of City Council, management and other staff regarding policies and interpretation of by-laws and regulations
- Examines plans for Building Services approval for Part Nine Buildings regarding type of life safety and building services required
- Trains and mentors staff
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Considerable experience as a zoning and/or building code examiner.
- Post secondary degree or diploma in a discipline pertinent to the job function such as architectural technology, building science or civil engineering technology, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience using a computer for data entry and information retrieval.
- Holds or in the process of obtaining all courses necessary in the following categories per the Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs: General Legal, House, Small Buildings, Large Buildings, Complex Buildings, and Buildings Structural.
- Possession of a valid Ontario Class "G" Driver's License and access to a properly insured vehicle.
You must also have:
- Ability to read and interpret surveys, site plans, architectural and structural drawings and perform accurate calculations pertaining thereto.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organization and within a team environment.
- Knowledge of the Zoning by-law and the Ontario Building Code.
- Knowledge and understanding of all aspects of building construction and related legislation.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Basic knowledge and training with IBMS would be an asset.
- Membership in the Professional Engineers of Ontario, The Ontario Association of Engineering Technicians and Technologists or the Ontario Association of Architects is an asset. A Certificate of CBCO from OBOA is also an asset.
- Ability to support the Toronto Public Service values to ensure a culture that champions equity, diversity and respectful workplaces.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID 2280996 and the job classification title.