- Reports to the Senior Engineer, Technical Operations and will be involved in all aspects of the work in the District.
- Develops and implements process and program solutions, and makes recommendations regarding program specific requirements
- Provides technical advice and expertise and utilizes standard engineering principles and practices to assist in the operation and maintenance of the division's programs, facilities and equipment as well as functional and preliminary designs and cost estimates
- Prepares engineering analysis and evaluates and recommends new technologies with the potential to improve performance of the division and divisional contracts
- Plans, investigates and prepares reports and recommendations concerning engineering problems of moderate complexity, assists senior engineer to resolve more complex problems. Ensures problem solving by use of combination of standard procedures, modification of standard procedures or methods developed in previous assignments
- Responsible for carrying out varied engineering assignments within the field of civil engineering including managing assigned municipal operation construction contracts and operations, ensuring effective teamwork, communication, high standards of work quality, organizational performance and continuous learning
- Undertakes the testing and implementation of design concepts to meet functional requirements
- Conducts studies, surveys, research and development for the effective solution of engineering issues. Initiates and leads technical projects. Directs project team staff to ensure timelines are met. Administers contracts and directs inspection and patrol staff ensuring budget, quality standards, scope, timelines and contractual obligations are met and billing, where applicable are reviewed, directed and finalized
- Formulates design concepts for engineering problems and sets the scope and parameters for design projects
- Prepares and inspects drawings, specifications, plans and cost estimates as they pertain to the construction or modification of the division's facilities and contracts
- Directs assigned multidisciplinary projects, coordinates input from a variety of City staff, ensuring effective teamwork and communication, high standards of work quality and organizational performance and continuous learning
- Reviews estimates, prepares Tenders, Request For Proposals and Request for Quotations, evaluates bids, recommends awards of contracts and arranges for purchases, monitors outcome regarding same
- Prepares Committee reports for different types of contracts
- Assists in preparation of the Division's Operations budget
- Co-ordinates task forces and technical committees in the preparation of standards, guidelines and policies
- Secures all engineering permits and approvals as may be required from external agencies, performs field inspections, resolves problems and provides technical advice and expertise
- Directs multidisciplinary teams of consultants. Ensures that project expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations
- Conducts research into assigned area ensuring that such research/analysis takes into account developments within the field, corporate policies and practices, legislation and initiatives by other levels of government
- Maintains an up-to-date knowledge of technological developments in the field of engineering and associated/related fields (e.g. transportation economics, environment, management, etc.)
- Represents the Division on internal and external Committees, attends meetings and provides input and feedback
- Evaluates and assesses the condition of the City's roadway network including pavements, boulevards and sidewalks
- Implements complex financial analysis related to the roadway network, determines Capital requirements and develops the annual and multi-year program for Road operations related to good repair for all roads, lanes and sidewalks
- Ensures compliance with OHSA
- Communicates with public, stakeholders and councillors about projects, programs and developments
- Responds to public letters of complaint and inquiry on behalf of senior management
- Prepares and delivers papers, reports, manuals, presentations, speeches, and training materials as required
- University degree in Civil Engineering or an approved combination of education and experience.
- Must be registered as a Professional Engineer (P. Eng) with the Professional Engineers Ontario.
- Considerable experience in the planning, design, tendering, On-site Project Management and contract administration of municipal infrastructure projects (i.e. general maintenance, resurfacing of roads, utility cut repair contracts, crack sealing, grass cutting etc); winter operations experience is a definite asset
- Experience applying the principles of civil engineering including the methods and materials specific to construction of municipal infrastructure.
- Experience in planning, supervising and directing the work of staff, contractors and consultants.
- Must possess and maintain a Driver's License Class "G", valid in the Province of Ontario and be able to pass and maintain a City of Toronto driver's permit.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Construction Lien Act and related legislation.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and other software applications.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate at all organizational levels.
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement and skill in handling technical and non-technical matters.
- Ability to work effectively with contractors, colleagues, provincial officials, consultants, other internal and external clients and in a unionized environment.
- Work beyond normal business hours and on weekends and statutory holidays when necessary.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.