Survey Assistant - INFOTOGO Mobile Street Team
Toronto is Canada's largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world's most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Survey Assistant within our Economic Development & Culture Division.
NOTE TO CURRENT CITY OF TORONTO LOCAL 79 PART-TIME EMPLOYEES: If you are a current City of Toronto Local 79 part-time employee, you must indicate that you are a "Current Part-time employee" in the "Custom Information" section of your on-line application form, and provide your "Employee Number" in order to be considered for this job opportunity.
Please note: The applicant pool from this job posting may be used for similar summer job opportunities in various divisions.
The INFOTOGO, seasonal visitor engagement program is recruiting staff for their mobile information booths at busy tourist areas and major events in the summer of 2017. INFOTOGO exists to promote things to do in Toronto by engaging and informing both visitors and residents. This contributes to a more welcoming city that is more economically and culturally vibrant by encouraging people to discover, see, do and spend more.
We are seeking enthusiastic, friendly, outgoing individuals with a deep Toronto knowledge and passion to be part of our INFOTOGO Mobile staff and promotional street team.
- Works as part of a mobile, front-line team in different locations around the city welcoming people, answering questions, and providing information about events, attractions and how to get around
- Responsible for the set up and tear down of the unit at each location in a safe and timely manner (includes heavy lifting).
- Approaches members of the public to welcome them; engages the public in conversation, promotes contests and offers assistance with directions
- Administers short surveys, distributes materials, conducts internet searches, and product sampling
- Provides current and accurate information on festivals and events, attractions, tours, landmarks, neighbourhoods and accommodation suggestions
- Suggests leisure and entertainment activities that would be of interest to visitors
- Provides clear geographical, walking, driving and public transit directions to major attractions and landmarks
- Collects and tracks visitor inquiries, feedback and service statistics
- Maintains fully-stocked brochure displays, related administrative tasks and other duties as assigned
- Experience working with the public in a front-line customer service position, marketing or tourism related position or as a promotional representative.
- Experience reading a map and giving directions.
- Experience engage the public from many socially diverse backgrounds using highly developed verbal communication, interpersonal skills with an outgoing personality.
You must also have:
- Strong overall knowledge of the City of Toronto including its tourist attractions, cultural institutions and entertainment offerings, neighbourhoods and shopping districts, festivals and events, public transit system and major roads
- Ability to continuously develop tourism product knowledge and application through own initiatives
- Ability to effectively assess the needs and interests of visitors to determine appropriate responses and advice
- Strong work ethic and a demonstrated ability to be professional and punctual
- Ability to use a computer, including Microsoft Office and excellent internet research skills
- Ability to work independently or in a team
- Ability to lift 50 pounds (i.e. boxes of brochures)
- Current studies in, or certification from, a post-secondary program in hospitality, business, marketing, tourism or other related program is an asset
- Ability to communicate in multiple languages is an asset
- Certification in Standard First Aid/ CPR Level C (or higher) is an asset
Note: This position requires frequent travel throughout the city in a truck and trailer, the ability to lift heavy objects, walk and stand for long periods of time and work in various outdoor work environments.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at email@example.com, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.