Support Assistant B
Reporting to and providing direct support to the Manager/Deputy Secretary Treasurer - Committee of Adjustment, responsible for providing administrative support to the Committee of Adjustment operations in the Toronto and East York District.
- Provides customer service support both on-line and at a service counter
- Assists with on-line application review to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Responds to telephone, email, service counter, fax, inquiries with general information on the C of A process (i.e. the application process; application status; scheduling etc) and/or refers to appropriate staff
- Prepares, sorts, processes, collects, opens, distributes and delivers mail
- Provides information to a wide range of stakeholders in the Committee of Adjustment process, including City staff, applicants and their agents, neighbours, lawyers, architects, Councillor's assistants and Committee of Adjustment members, both over the phone and in person
- Processes and monitors the section's Operating budget by: tracking program spending through SAP; placing orders and maintaining supplies/resources for unit; processes payments, refunds and invoices and investigates and analyzes problems associated with accounts, purchasing, etc., and takes corrective action)
- Accepts and completes Information Request and File Review applications from the public; responds to FOI Requests; and requests to view archived files, providing photocopies of materials as per the Routine Disclosure Guidelines
- Generates/Prepares C of A Process documents (Public Hearing Agenda, Minutes, letters) for distribution, including proof reading, printing and photocopying
- Attends public hearings that extend beyond regular work hours to take and transcribe minutes
- Accepts, prepares and updates appeals to the Toronto Local Appeal Body and the Ontario Municipal Board.
- Inputs, updates and maintains data as it relates to the program area
- Drafts correspondence and creates documents for Manager's signature
- Coordinates meeting rooms, bookings and special requirements for meetings
- Operates office equipment and computers utilizing a variety of software packages, applying speed and skill
- Prepares presentation materials, forms etc. Utilizes layout, formatting and keyboarding skills using computer
- Maintains filing and retrieval systems for section files
- Provides assistance to the Committee of Adjustment team and performs related work as required
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Considerable experience performing administrative work for a manager and divisional team.
- Considerable experience utilizing a variety of software programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point Outlook, and navigating internet and web based resources.
- Considerable experience drafting letters and memos and in preparing and formatting reports, correspondence and documents for Council, Committee and public hearings.
- Considerable experience accurately recording and transcribing formal meeting minutes
- Experience utilizing and inputting data into databases related to the position.
- Experience with filing systems and the management of large volumes of information both hard copy and electronic.
You must also have:
- An understanding of the work of the Committee of Adjustment and a demonstrated interest in operating in this environment.
- Knowledge of City and Departmental policies and procedures, municipal government operations, and committee proceedings and invoice and payment processing
- Excellent organizational skills with an attention to detail and an ability to set priorities while being flexible in a fast paced environment with tight legislated deadlines.
- Excellent computer skills and ability to work with web based services
- Ability to independently research and locate information requested by various stakeholders.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with politicians, the public, senior managers, stakeholders and staff.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and independently
- Ability to apply independent judgment and discretion in dealing with confidential information.
- Knowledge and experience with Web Management and using Adobe and Adobe pro would be an asset.
- Knowledge of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other regulations/legislation that apply to the job duties.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.