Support Assistant B
Toronto is Canada's largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world's most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Support Assistant B within Toronto Public Health.
NOTE TO CURRENT CITY OF TORONTO LOCAL 79 PART-TIME EMPLOYEES: If you are a current City of Toronto Local 79 part-time employee, you must indicate that you are a "Current Part-time employee" in the "Custom Information" section of your on-line application form, and provide your "Employee Number" in order to be considered for this job opportunity.
Please note that this position is part-time, approximately 17.5 hours per week. Regular hours of work will be 3.5 hours a day from Monday to Friday, scheduled between 10:30 am and 3:00 pm. Please be advised that your hours may change due to operational reasons.
As part of the Toronto Health Connection - Contact Centre team, the Support Assistant B provides customer service to support the Toronto Public Health Unit. A key responsibility in this position is to promote access and ensure that service is available to residents of the City of Toronto. It also helps facilitate communication between staff, government officials, clients, community agencies, stakeholders and the general public. Information is provided on services and clarification of legislation, policies and procedures. Staff identifies and reports on current Toronto Public Health trends/issues and analyzes public perceptions and concerns.
- Responds to e-mails, telephone and in-person inquiries from staff, Council, the public, agencies and other levels of government regarding any Toronto Public Health programs or public health matter, utilizing in-depth knowledge of procedures, knowledgebase, policies, procedures, regulations and criteria.
- Operates office equipment and computers utilizing a variety of software packages such as MS Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, etc.) applying speed and skill. Prepares presentation material. Utilizes detailed layout and formatting.
- Performs varied administrative tasks involving the preparation, research, summary and reconciliation of data and the control and expedition of documents and data.
- Prepares and processes documents/statistical summaries/reports, etc. Assesses and analyzes data.
- Attends staff meetings as an active participant, taking and distributing meeting minutes
- Checks work for accuracy and conformity with policies and procedures and corrects/resolves outstanding/incorrect items. Identifies issues and recommends solutions. Performs complex calculations.
- Coordinates, schedules and trains assigned staff. Assists in cross-training of new staff. Checks/verifies work of assigned staff.
- Operates office equipment and computers utilizing a variety of software packages, applying speed and skill. Prepares presentation material. Utilizes detailed layout and formatting.
- Maintains inventory of brochures and resources for distribution.
- Assists with special events or projects as required, including the updating of distribution lists and assembling of information kits and brochures.
- Reviews, accepts or rejects material/applications from the public, ensuring all criteria have been met.
- Maintains database for various records/documents including By-Laws. Inputs, updates and maintains data as it relates to the program area
- Assists with workshop/training registrations, including the mail out and/or faxing of confirmation forms or materials.
- Obtains interpretative services for the general public, as required using the approved Language Line or staff interpreters.
- Coordinates meetings, events and schedules including booking of equipment.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Considerable customer service experience dealing directly with the public in a high volume call/contact centre environment
- Considerable clerical/administrative experience in a team oriented customer service environment
- Considerable experience using Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook) and the ability to utilize other software packages relevant to supporting Toronto Public Health
- Considerable experience researching information, extracting and interpreting information from various databases and software applications, including Internet search engines
You must also have:
- Highly developed interpersonal and customer service skills, including conflict resolution, problem solving, decision making and situational assessment.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and to set priorities, plan and execute tasks, meet competing deadlines often within time restraints.
- Ability to retrieve, enter and update data accurately and maintain databases.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to respond to staff and public in a courteous, professional and effective manner.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at email@example.com, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.