Support Assistant B
The Support Assistant B will be responsible for providing administrative and customer service support relating to programs and projects in the Business and Customer Support unit's portfolio.
- Perform varied administrative tasks involving the preparation of correspondence, research, reconciliation of data and assistance with all aspects related to the administration of service programs.
- Prepare manuals, reports, statistical letters, memoranda, minutes and other documents in accordance with City standards. Applies and checks layout and formatting guidelines; proof read own and other's material.
- Prepare and update supporting documentation for various program files and applications.
- Review incoming applications for accuracy and conformity with regulations, policy and procedures and corrects/resolves outstanding/incorrect items.
- Respond to e-mails, telephone and in-person inquiries from Members of Council, senior staff, the public, agencies and other levels of government utilizing in-depth knowledge of procedures, regulations, criteria and Committee and Council decision making processes
- Operate office equipment and computers utilizing a variety of software packages, using advanced formatting functions, macros and multiple fonts in Microsoft Word. Prepares presentation material. Utilizes detailed layout and formatting
- Answer inquiries from the public, senior staff, agencies, other levels of government and elected officials utilizing in depth knowledge of procedures, regulations and criteria and computer applications with regard to service programs
- Coordinate and maintains records, develops and updates mailing lists, manual and computerized filing systems and inventory systems. Maintains office supply inventories.
- Coordinate meetings, events and schedules. Takes/transcribes meeting minutes.
- Receive and pay out cash and cheques, controls, monitor and balances petty cash, prepare bank deposits, withdrawals, reconciliations and process/check financial payments.
- Prepare/process documents and handle issues of a confidential/sensitive nature with appropriate discretion
- Responsible for tracking and reporting attendance and vacation request for the unit
- Perform research on internet and intranet (e.g. 311 Knowledge Base, Toronto Water website) as required to respond to customer inquires
- Considerable experience in providing customer service to various stakeholders including residential and commercial customers.
- Considerable clerical/administrative experience, some of which must be in a customer service environment, specifically related to the actual job duties including records management, preparing correspondence and handling customer inquiries in person, by telephone and in writing.
- Considerable experience Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access), e-mail.
- Considerable experience creating and formatting documents, reports, charts, spreadsheets and presentations.
- Keyboarding, data entry and proof reading skills.
- Experience with taking and transcribing minutes.
You must also have:
- Ability to utilize other software packages relevant to supporting the division's core requirements and able to utilize internet to research effectively
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing and ability to compose detailed correspondence.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to meet with and deal effectively with staff, contractors, consultants and the public tactfully and courteously.
- Customer Service experience in a Contact Centre environment is preferred
- Good organizational, analytical, problem solving and multi-tasking skills with the ability to set priorities in a fast paced environment to meet tight, sometimes conflicting, deadlines
- Ability to provide work direction to other employees and carry out instructions with minimal supervision.
- Ability to exercise independent judgement and discretion in dealing with confidential operational matters.
- Ability to perform detailed, complex calculations.
- Ability to plan and organize appointments, meetings, interviews, and conferences.
- Familiarity with programs and services in the Toronto Water Division.
- Familiarity using computer based accounting applications/systems, i.e. SAP system.
- Understanding of municipal operations, council proceedings, enforcement, legislation, departmental and political issues as they relate to Toronto Water
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please call us at 416-338-2946 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.