Support Assistant (Administrative/Clerical)
On-Going Opportunities Description
Although there may not be current vacancies, your resume will be kept on file for six (6) months and then deleted from our system. You must re-apply after six (6) months.
- Operates office equipment and computers utilizing a variety of software packages (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, etc.)
- Prepares presentation materials, forms, letters, etc. utilizing layout, formatting and keyboarding skills using computer
- Responds to inquiries made in person, by telephone or in writing
- Performs database searches to input, retrieve and report information. Collects, processes and presents data. Extract pertinent information from manual or computerized file for various summaries and reports and inputs data into a computerized database. Compiles statistics (using a calculator or PC). Determines and correct errors
- Maintains manual and computerized filling and retrieval systems for records/documents, including file correspondence, records, reports, inventory data and manuals
- Drafts standard letters and memoranda, maintains files, prints and distributes materials, photocopies documents and sends facsimiles
- Collects, sorts, date stamps, distributes, prepares and processes forms and documents, including mail, fax, statements, invoices, reports, vouchers, cheque requisitions, cash, and receipts
- Receives documents/applications, invoices/monies from the public or other levels of government and ensures accuracy and completeness. Issues/completes receipts/documentation. Receives balances and records payments and completes receipts
- Coordinates meeting room bookings and special requirements for meetings. Attends meetings, takes and transcribes minutes as required
- Prepares purchase requisitions and performs associated follow up including monitoring of contract balances, commitment levels and status of documents in accordance with divisional processes
- Directs and/or guides and/or checks work of other staff
- Monitors, orders and maintains supplies/resource materials for unit or other locations
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Experience performing various clerical support duties, some of which must relate to the actual job duties.
- Experience in using computerized software programs which include MS Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) and experience with layout and formatting procedures for text, tables, and spreadsheets and mail merging.
- Experience in working with and the management of electronic and hard copy confidential data including the set up and maintenance of paper and computer file systems.
- Experience in preparing detailed correspondence, summaries, reports, statements and documentation requiring the interpretation and application of a wide range of administrative practices.
- Experience providing customer service and responding to inquiries.
- Knowledge of standard office practices and procedures.
- Excellent keyboarding, proof reading and data entry skills with emphasis on accuracy.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and ability to develop solid professional internal and external work relationships with various levels of staff within the City, other organizations and the public. Ability to write in a clear, concise and legible manner.
- Good organizational skills with the ability to multitask and work in a high pressure, high volume team oriented environment with minimal supervision, working independently and cooperatively with other members of the staff.
- Ability to identify and analyze problems with inefficiencies and develop effective solutions and solve problems.
- Proven ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with discretion and tact.
- A basic understanding of City government and the services it provides.
Please note the Salary/Rate (Hourly) reflects the 2015 rates.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
To avoid any delays in the recruitment process, if you require accommodation to apply or if selected to participate in an assessment process, you must provide your accommodation needs in advance. You may also be required to submit adequate medical/other documentation to Human Resources to support your request for accommodation.