Summer Trainee - Technical
Toronto is Canada's largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world's most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as Summer Trainee - Technical within our Toronto Water Division.
NOTE TO CURRENT CITY OF TORONTO LOCAL 79 PART-TIME EMPLOYEES: If you are a current City of Toronto Local 79 part-time employee, you must indicate this in the "Custom Information" section of your on-line application form that you are a "Current Part-time employee" and provide your "Employee Number" in order to be considered for this job opportunity.
Reporting to the Supervisor and working in a team environment, the Summer Student Technical - Trainee will perform all assigned Engineering duties within Toronto Water Water Treatment and Supply.
- Helps supervisor to administer, prepare, coordinate and review requirements, engineering designs, drawings, reports, specifications and any documentation related to Toronto Water projects, and Operations and Maintenance activities.
- Reviews research, conducts studies and/or calculations and analyzes technical data.
- Liaises with internal and external stakeholders, i.e. other Divisions, Utility companies, developers, public, contractors, consultants, architects etc. pertaining to water and wastewater infrastructure issues.
- Supports the ongoing legislated Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change Water Treatment operations requirements.
- Assists the plant staff with meeting the legislative licensing requirements by undertaking various functions (i.g. log books, process and compliance investigations, data and quality control, record keeping, etc).
- Supports job site health and safety requirements such as confined space entry, arranging technical meetings, taking minutes, assisting in process shut downs, reporting, project/contract management tasks, etc.
- Catalogues and sorts project files and prepares for archiving.
- Uses project documents and updates all affected assets in Works Management System.
- Collects, maintains and analyzes data and prepares reports making recommendations based upon applicable by-laws and City policies.
- Prepares correspondence and technical reports pertaining to issues relevant to Toronto Water.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Undergraduate student in a Civil/Chemical/Environmental Engineering Program from a recognized University or College.
- Some experience in Civil/Chemical/Environmental Engineering with practical experience in the municipal water treatment, water distribution, wastewater collection and storm water management activities and systems.
- Possession of a Class "G" Driver's License valid in the province of Ontario and a personal vehicle would be an asset.
You must also have:
- Experience in providing customer service to a broad range of stakeholders.
- Knowledge of a variety of software packages including Microsoft Office Suite (i.e.Word, Excel, Access, and Visio), geospatial data and mapping applications and mainframe systems such as, but not limited to: GroupWise, Hansen, SAP, ArcGIS and GIS viewer.
- Experience in the operation of CADD (eg. Microstation) and GIS (eg. ArcView) would be useful.
- Knowledge and understanding of Municipal Civil Engineering principles, practices related to hydrology, hydraulics, storm water management, water efficiency/conservation; and the collection of infrastructure condition rating data, for example: CCTV, flow monitoring, trunk collection system, pump testing.
- The ability to interpret engineering drawings and documents, e.g. plans and profiles, surveys, Specifications, etc.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment with consultants, contractors, colleagues and other City employees at all levels and members of the public.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, at all organizational levels.
Work Location Information:
- Toronto Island Water Treatment Plant
- Clark Water Treatment Plant
- High Level Pumping Station
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Note: The applicant pool from this job posting may be used for similar summer job opportunities in various divisions.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.