Solid Waste Collection Operator (DZ Licence Required)
On-Going Opportunities Description
Toronto is Canada's largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world's most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Solid Waste Collection Operator within our Solid Waste Management Services Division.
Although there may not be current vacancies, resumes will be kept on file for six (6) months and then deleted from our system. You must reapply after six (6) months.
- Operates a wide variety of collection vehicles and equipment independently or with a crew member.
- Moves carts/bags to the truck and uses appropriate mechanisms to dump or manually lift onto the truck.
- Operates mechanical equipment attached to vehicles/equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Lifts and loads garbage, recyclable materials, organics, organic yard waste and special pick up items such as household appliances, discarded furniture, wood, carpet and electronics.
- Places empty carts and containers back to the set out location in a tidy manner.
- Assists operator by signaling vehicle which is being maneuvered or backed up when on a two person crew.
- Drives vehicle to designated disposal facilities and unloads all materials in accordance with requirements of facility operator.
- Performs Daily Pre-Trip Inspection Report (Circle Check); identifies and reports vehicle and equipment malfunctions; maintains vehicle and equipment in a clean and tidy condition.
- Completes reports (e.g., Driver's Collision/Incident Report) related to assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Operates 2-way radio or mobile phone.
- Performs other duties at this wage grade level or lower such as labouring type duties, maintenance and cleaning activities when not operating assigned vehicle or equipment.
- Performs work in a safe, efficient and courteous manner.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Must possess and maintain a valid Province of Ontario, Class "D" Driver's License with "Z" endorsement.
- Must qualify for the City's equipment operating permits and requirements within 90 days of start.
- Must possess and be able to maintain as appropriate, any valid Province of Ontario requirements to operate mechanized equipment.
- Good driving record and familiarity with location of major city streets
- Must be familiar with requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations for the safe performance of his/her duties and responsibilities or capable of obtaining familiarity of same.
- May be required to do shift work in conformance with the Collective Agreement.
- Ability to use or learn to use various technical devices related to the position.
- Ability to deal courteously with the public.
- Ability to communicate in relation to their job duties.
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties (accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under the City's Employment Accommodation Policy and the Joint Modified Work Program in the Collective Agreement) and able to work in all weather conditions.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
As you may be contacted via email, please ensure that your email address is kept up to date in your Candidate Profile.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID # 2273737 and the job classification title.