Solid Waste Collection Operator (DZ Licence Required)
On-Going Opportunities Description
Toronto is Canada's largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world's most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture, and are proud to be the Host City for the 2015 Pan American and Parapan American Games. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Solid Waste Collection Operator within our Solid Waste Management Services Division.
Although there may not be current vacancies, your resume will be kept on file for six (6) months and then deleted from our system. You must re-apply after six (6) months.
- Operates a wide variety of collection vehicles and equipment independently or with a crew member.
- Moves carts/bags to the truck and uses appropriate mechanisms to dump or manually lift onto the truck.
- Operates mechanical equipment attached to vehicles/equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Lifts and loads garbage, recyclable materials, organics, organic yard waste and special pick up items such as household appliances, discarded furniture, wood, carpet and electronics.
- Places empty carts and containers back to the set out location in a tidy manner.
- Assists operator by signaling vehicle which is being maneuvered or backed up when on a two person crew.
- Drives vehicle to designated disposal facilities and unloads all materials in accordance with requirements of facility operator.
- Performs Daily Pre-Trip Inspection Report (Circle Check); identifies and reports vehicle and equipment malfunctions; maintains vehicle and equipment in a clean and tidy condition.
- Completes reports (e.g., Driver's Collision/Incident Report) related to assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Operates 2-way radio or mobile phone.
- Performs other duties at this wage grade level or lower such as labouring type duties, maintenance and cleaning activities when not operating assigned vehicle or equipment.
- Performs work in a safe, efficient and courteous manner.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Province of Ontario, Class "D" Driver's License with "Z" endorsement and must qualify for the City's equipment operating permits and requirements.
- Must possess and be able to maintain as appropriate, any valid Province of Ontario requirements to operate mechanized equipment.
- Good driving record and familiarity with location of major city streets
- Must be familiar with requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations for the safe performance of his/her duties and responsibilities or capable of obtaining familiarity of same.
- May be required to do shift work in conformance with the Collective Agreement.
- Ability to use or learn to use various technical devices related to the position.
- Ability to deal courteously with the public.
- Ability to communicate in relation to their job duties.
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties (accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under the City's Employment Accommodation Policy and the Joint Modified Work Program in the Collective Agreement) and able to work in all weather conditions.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants who provide an email address may receive their written correspondence with respect to this job posting directly to the email address provided with their application. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly to receive this correspondence.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.