Research Analyst 1
- Conduct empirical research and analysis on topics such as demographics, customer profiles, best practices, industry trends, operational and strategic performance and customer satisfaction; collect information from internal and external sources including other levels of government, and City divisions, libraries and community agencies, conduct literature searches, and utilize other social, economic and scientific research methods.
- Prepare background support material to inquiries, documents findings, supporting data, recommendations and theories, and circulates data throughout Division.
- Develop recommendations for standard operating practices for the group relating to new program initiatives or program changes.
- Provide research support for investigations, studies and surveys performed by staff and consultants.
- Identify and evaluate appropriate data sources to respond to research or information requests.
- Extract, manipulate and analyze data and information from a variety of sources such as the Division's information systems, other divisions, other municipalities, other levels of government (provincial, national, international).
- Perform analysis combining operational and strategic business data with geospatial data to produce maps and reports.
- Use knowledge and information management technologies, data analysis and reporting technologies, and geographical information systems (GIS) technologies to efficiently and effectively perform job duties.
- Interpret the results of the analysis into usable, accurate, high quality information.
- Follow internal procedures for ensuring the accuracy of information / data to be released by the Unit.
- Prepare reports and disseminate back to information requestors in a timely manner.
- Use information management techniques to collect, maintain, organize, structure, store, index and find information.
- Develop and maintain metadata (e.g. data dictionary) related to the Division's information assets.
- Develop and maintain the Division's performance measurement scorecards and dashboards.
- Develop and administer questionnaires for the Division's programs.
- Maintain library, e.g. of applicable research data, statistics, books, periodicals and reference material.
- Attend meetings with staff (internal and external stakeholders); networks with other Divisions; participates in problem solving.
- Provide assistance and answers inquiries to/from various stakeholders.
- Post-secondary education in a discipline pertinent to the job function such as Applied Sciences, Engineering, Statistics, Information Technology, Geographic Information Systems, Business or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Considerable experience in survey design, implementation and analysis, including cross-tabulation, using on-line tools such as Fluid Surveys or equivalent.
- Extensive experience in data analysis and reporting tools such as SAS, SPSS or equivalent.
- Extensive experience in the use of Excel pivot tables
- Considerable Experience in geospatial analysis using geographical information systems (GIS) such as ESRI ArcGIS or equivalent.
- Considerable Experience in querying databases using SQL
- Knowledge and experience in gathering, working with, and analyzing demographic and psycho-demographic data.
- Considerable experience conducting research, including data identification, collection and documentation.
- Considerable experience in developing clear written materials such as reports, memos, minutes and correspondence.
- Considerable experience in word processing and spreadsheets using Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and Microsoft Access.
You must also have:
- Ability to research, access and summarize quantitative and qualitative information
- Ability to develop effective relationships both internally and externally with stakeholders including City staff and the public equivalent
- Excellent time management and organizational skill
- Ability to take initiative in order to solve problems
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to represent the division in a variety of situations
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and conflict resolution skills
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
Include and complete this statement if posting job externally - If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please call us at 416-338-7133 or email us at email@example.com