Plumbing and Mechanical Plan Examiner (AMENDMENT)
- Please note the Work Location has been amended.
Reporting to the Manager Plan Review, the Plumbing and Mechanical Plan Examiner will examine plans submitted for approval for compliance with building codes pertaining to plumbing, HVAC systems, and other regulations and related by-laws. The incumbent:
- Examines, corrects, signs and approves plans dealing with plumbing and HVAC systems, and reviews associated calculations and specifications for compliance with the Ontario Building Code and related regulations, within the timeframes specified in the legislation. Ensures materials and methods of construction meet approval standards of accepted construction practices
- Prepares examiners' notices and documents examination details. Inputs and updates divisional data base
- Responds verbally and in writing to enquiries from the general public, contractors, architects and engineers regarding interpretations of by-laws, regulations and City/Divisional procedures
- Liaises with applicants, owners, other divisions, agencies and levels of government
- Calculates permit fees and applicable charges
- Approves applications for permit issuance
- Maintains records and answers queries respecting plumbing and HVAC systems
- Advises inspection staff on related permit applications
- Performs site inspections on construction problems and provides technical advice
- Appears and gives evidence in Court and the Ontario Building Code Commission on Building Code and other regulations and on plumbing and HVAC matters
- Represents the Division at various committees and meetings
- Trains and mentors staff
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Post secondary diploma/certificate in a discipline pertinent to the job function such as Mechanical Technology/Technician, with electives taken related to HVAC and plumbing systems operations and installations.
- Holds or in the process of obtaining all courses necessary in the following categories per the Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs: Building Services, Plumbing - All Buildings & General Legal/Process or Powers and Duties of a Chief Building Official.
- Experience reading and interpreting plans, specifications and data sheets pertaining to both HVAC systems and plumbing system installations for compliance with the Ontario Building Code, ASHRAE standards, HRAI Design Manuals, NFPA Standards, the Ontario Water Resources Act and Regulations, the Public Health Act and Regulations and the Environmental Protection Act and Regulations as they relate to both HVAC and Plumbing systems.
You must also have:
- Knowledge in the design, operations and installations of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, site services and plumbing systems.
- Knowledge of on-site sewage systems.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Good oral communication skills with the ability to submit oral evidence in court.
- Good written communication skills with the ability to prepare accurate written reports.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations relevant to plumbing installations and building construction.
- A valid Ontario Driver's Licence, Class G and the ability to qualify for a City Equipment Operator's Permit, may be required.
- Ability to support the Toronto Public Service values to ensure a culture that champions equity, diversity and respectful workplaces.
Possession of a Provincial Plumbing Certificate with extensive experience in the trade would be an asset.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID 2278146 and the job classification title.