Performs skilled and semi-skilled tasks as a Plumber, in the installation, operation and repair of mechanical equipment and repairs required in connection with general building/parks maintenance.
- Installs, inspects, maintains and repairs malfunctions to heating, cooling, fresh air, sprinkler, fire protection, pumps and plumbing systems, water services and auxiliary equipment on City properties using sketches and blueprints
- Requisitions materials and equipment to complete repairs and maintenance to same systems using a computer
- Repairs boiler fittings and related equipment
- Replaces or repairs boiler tubes, plates, high pressure piping using tools such as pipe threaders, pipe wrenches, pipe cutters, welding equipment
- Assembles, installs and repairs a variety of piping by means of threading, soldering brazing, welding etc.
- Replaces or repairs equipment for units such as air conditioners, refrigerators, sinks, showers or water closets
- Removes, installs and realigns equipment
- Removes and replaces electrical equipment
- Arranges for inspections of new water and drain services and requests stakeouts from public utility companies before excavating. Installs, maintains and repairs water services. Activates water services when needed and winterizes same
- Utilizes a variety of tools/equipment and is responsible for their maintenance
- Performs a variety of skilled work not requiring the service of other licensed trades
- Provides direction and training to staff and oversees work of contractors to ensure it complies to standards and specifications
- Transports materials and equipment to be used on various job sites and operates other equipment
- Performs other related work as assigned
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Must possess and be able to maintain a current Certificate of Qualification as a Plumber in accordance with the regulations enforced in the Province of Ontario.
- Considerable experience as a Plumber.
- Experience in reading and interpreting drawings and specifications and in overseeing work performed by contractors.
You must also have:
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario Class "G" Driver's License and must qualify for the City's equipment operating permits and requirements.
- Ability to provide work direction and training to others.
- Ability to lay out, install, maintain and repair pipes, fixture etc. at any City structure, building or site.
- Must be familiar with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the regulations that apply to this work.
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties and work in all weather conditions.
- With the appropriate safety precautions, must be able to tolerate dust, noise, heights and odorous conditions.
- Must be available to work shift/weekend/overtime/on call duty as required.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID #2279554 and the job classification title.