Payroll Benefits Pension Service Representative 2
- Processes, verifies, updates and monitors statutory, mandatory and voluntary deductions for all City employees. Monitors and processes payments/deductions such as manual/replacement cheques, garnishments, family support payments and wage assignments, sick pay grants, Canada Savings Bonds, maternity leaves, WSIB advances and top-up, retroactive adjustments, separation of employment, arrears, advance payments and deductions, etc.
- Receives and checks documents pertaining to the updating of payroll, ensuring accuracy and adherence to corporate policies, legislation and union contracts. Maintains source documents for audit purposes and arranges for appropriate filing
- Obtains authorization and initiates transactions to update the employee master file in the payroll system such as status change, increments, extensions to employment, terminations/rehire, layoff/recall, alternate rates, etc.
- Responds to enquiries and resolves complaints and exchanges information with all levels of staff, elected officials, government agencies, or private companies, on telephone, email and in person
- Investigates problems relating to employee's pay, direct deposits, requests cancellations and replacement manual cheques, etc.
- Sets up and maintains manual and computerized record and filing and retrieval systems
- Verifies payroll information and results to ensure deductions are properly calculated in accordance with government legislation, collective agreements and corporate policy
- Investigates problems regarding data input, system payroll errors and errors in outputs. Makes recommendations to resolve
- Calculates overpayments of wages or any amounts owed by employee. Prepares correspondence for the recovery of such overpayment or amounts owing
- Monitors and processes payments as authorized
- Composes correspondence and memoranda
- Checks automatically generated calculations and reviews reports to ensure accuracy of set up and/or programming to new/changed routines/processes. Investigates and takes corrective action regarding errors or warnings related to payrolls
- Assists/trains staff as required
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Considerable experience in a unionized environment processing payroll (i.e. processing new hires, terminations, leave of absences, WSIB advance and top-up calculation, ROE's etc.).
- Experience with computer based financial/payroll systems e.g. SAP.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. MS Word, Excel and Outlook).
You must also have:
- Knowledge of Canada Revenue Agency regulations, Canada Pension Plan, Employment Insurance, WSIB legislation, collective agreements, employment standards, corporate policies and procedures related to payroll.
- Ability to enter and retrieve payroll information using computer based systems.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to meet tight deadlines, prioritize and deal with conflicting work demands in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team and establish good working relationships with staff at all levels in the organization as well as external clients.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills and the ability to deal effectively with all levels of staff, elected officials, and external contacts in person, by telephone and in writing.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to compose correspondence and memoranda.
- Ability to work overtime as required.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion in dealing with confidential operational matters.
- Ability to create and format complex reports and correspondence.
- Ability to perform complex detailed computations and calculations.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at accomodation123 email@example.com, quoting the job ID #2271231 Payroll Benefits Pension Service Representative 2.