Paramedic Level 1 Part-Time
- Drives and/or provides medical care in an ambulance or other divisional vehicles for the transportation and care of sick, injured and convalescent patients, including those with infectious diseases, to and from hospitals or other destinations as directed.
- Provides casualty care according to the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care (MOHLTC) BLS Patient Care Standards for all patients encountered, under the direction of or by standing orders from a Base Hospital physician or direction from a Level 2 or Level 3 Paramedic.
- Performs patient care functions according to the Basic Life Support Standards, Divisional Standard Operating Procedures and Base Hospital Medical Directives. Basic and Advanced Life Support procedures may be changed as medical standards evolve.
- Responds to the patient with the appropriate equipment based on good judgment, available information and Divisional policies and procedures.
- Monitors, observes and records changes in patient's condition and carries out treatment as directed.
- Transfers patient from vehicle to treatment centre, and assists in transfer of patient from stretcher to examining table, cot, stretcher, bed, etc., at a treatment centre, etc. and transfers back to vehicle, etc., where necessary.
- Reports by radio or telephone to dispatch centre concerning patient status and preparation for return to station, etc.
- Ensures that proper inventory checks of supplies and equipment are performed according to Standard Operating Policies and Procedures, and makes adjustments as required reporting any errors or omissions.
- Ensures ambulance exterior, interior, medical equipment and supplies are clean and serviceable.
- Promptly provides incident reports, accident and other related reports and forms, to the superintendent for review.
- Prepares stretchers and equipment for service and reports to dispatch when available for next assignment.
- Completes all documentation as required as per MOHLTC BLS Patient Care Standards and/or Toronto Paramedic Services' Standard Operating Policies and Procedures.
- Completes any and all documentation as requested by Toronto Paramedic Services management
- Inspects ambulance and completes required related documentation.
- Carries out housekeeping duties at a station and those duties that may be assigned in the course of providing ambulance services. Ensures access areas to station are clean.
- Participates in research studies as required.
- Performs other related work as assigned.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Successfully completed a MOHLTC-recognized course for Primary Care Paramedic provided by a College of Applied Arts and Technology or equivalent.
- Successfully completed the Advanced Emergency Medical Care Assistants (A.E.M.C.A.) examination or be AEMCA pending as specified in the Ontario Ambulance Act.
- Must be able to achieve and maintain current certification in Symptom Relief and Defibrillation under the Ontario Base Hospital Group and meet cross-certification requirements with Sunnybrook Base Hospital.
- Must produce proof of mandatory immunization and maintain all immunizations as required and specified by the Ontario Ambulance Act.
- Must possess a Class "F" Ontario Driver's License, or better, and meet all requirements for licence maintenance as set forth in the City of Toronto's Fleet policy and be able to qualify for the City's equipment operating permits.
- Must not be convicted of any crime involving moral turpitude for which a pardon has not been granted.
- Must meet all requirements for employment as a Paramedic in Ontario as per the Ambulance Act.
- Must not have had Driver's License suspended for two years prior to application, and not have more than three demerit points issued against his/her Ontario driver's licence.
- Ability to pass oral, written and physical examinations pertaining to procedures used in emergency patient care as set by the Division.
- Thoroughly familiar with the Highway Traffic Act and Municipal Traffic By-laws.
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties.
- Must be available to work rotating shift/weekend/night/overtime/on call duty in all environmental conditions.
- Must be familiar with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the regulations that apply to this work.
- Hours of work may be up to 80 hours bi-weekly.
- Applicants currently employed and certified as a practising paramedic in Ontario will enter the selection process at Stage 2.
- Written Exam Dates are: January 4, 5, and 6, 2017 for candidates screened in for Stage 1.
Please note that all applicants will provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
To avoid any delays in the recruitment process, if you require accommodation to apply or if selected to participate in an assessment process, you must provide your accommodation needs in advance. You may also be required to submit adequate medical/other documentation to Human Resources to support your request for accommodation.