Reporting to the Apparatus Captain, the responsibilities for this position include the following:
- Immediately responds in a timely fashion to and deals with emergencies related to fire, medical and rescue emergencies.
- Performs all emergency duties such as but not limited to rescue procedures, firefighting carrying hoses, climbing ladders, hooking hoses up to hydrants, breaking through walls, protecting those in danger due to a fire, overhaul, emergency medical treatment and rescue, management of hazardous materials, property conservation, environmental conservation, and secures emergency scene for the safety of the public and other Firefighters.
- Drives/operates any apparatus/vehicles in accordance with policy and Highway Traffic Act (HTA).
- Operates all equipment carried aboard TFS apparatus such as pumps, hoses, manual ladders, mechanical ladder, generators, automobile extrication equipment, etc.
- Conducts inspections and ensures an emergency scene is in compliance with fire/life safety guidelines, prior to leaving the scene.
- After returning from emergency scene cleans, inspects, and returns all equipment used to a state of readiness.
- A team player who works effectively with their crew and with other first responders, such as police and paramedics, maintaining a high standard of professionalism.
Non -Emergency Duties
- Cleans, inspects and maintains equipment and apparatus on a daily basis.
- Conducts full maintenance/safety check of vehicles and equipment.
- Performs routine preventative maintenance tasks to equipment and apparatus.
- Keeps fire station, equipment, quarters and grounds clean and orderly on a daily basis.
- Completes all required training and retraining as assigned within the prescribed time periods indicated.
- Participates in preplanning to familiarize themselves with new or unusual buildings in the station's district, and with streets and roads under construction.
- Educates the public about fire prevention and fire safety practices.
- Acts as an ambassador for Toronto Fire Services both on and off duty
- Must be, at all times, psychologically and physically prepared to respond to emergencies of any kind.
- Must be able to work at heights or in a confined space as required.
- Wears supplied safety equipment and uniforms.
- Must be accepting of others differences and able to live and work with other firefighters in close quarters throughout shifts, where firefighters depend and trust each other to perform their duties successfully whether it be sharing routine tasks at the fire station, or providing services at an emergency scene.
- Performs all work duties and activities in a safe and effective manner in accordance with City and TFS policies and procedures.
- Function as an integral member of the Toronto Fire Services emergency response team to deliver and support Division specific goals of emergency response and preparedness.
- Must be willing and able to follow direction of a senior officer.
In addition to the above duties the successful candidates are required to:
- Continually maintain a high standard of professionalism, integrity, reliability and credibility, which are fundamental requirements for this position.
- Function as an integral member of the City of Toronto workforce to support corporate vision and mission statements.
- Function as an integral member of the Toronto Fire Services workforce to deliver and support Division specific vision and mission statements.
- 18 years of age or older.
- Legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Must possess valid Class "D" Ontario Driver's Licence with "Z" endorsement or equivalent.
- Successful completion of all stages (1-3) of the OFAI Candidate Testing Services (as verified by possession of CTS Certificate) prior to the date of application submission.
- Successful completion of an IFSAC and/or Pro-Board accredited NFPA 1001 Level 1 & 2 Program along with an IFSAC and/or Pro-Board accredited NFPA 472 Program prior to the date of application submission.
- Willingness and ability to work in extremely adverse and dangerous situations.
- Possession of current and valid standard First Aid Certificate issued by a WSIB approved First Aid Trainer, issued no more than 1 year prior to the date of application submission.
- Possession of a current and valid minimum level CPR HCP certificate issued no more than 1 year prior to the date of application submission.
- Must be willing and able to work on a 24 hour shift schedule that involves working weekends and holidays, where you will work an assigned shift averaging 42 hours per week over a four week period.
- Must be fit and able to handle the sustained, intense physical and psychological effort required to perform duties of this position.
- Mechanical aptitude.
- Must be familiar with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the regulations that apply to this work.
- Ability to work effectively under stressful conditions.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Report writing ability.
- Problem solving/analytical skills.
- Interpersonal/Interaction skills when dealing with the public, Fire Services staff and all other levels of City personnel.
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks/demands, as appropriate.
- Ability to work within a team environment.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision, when required.
- Ability to work and positively interact within a diverse work environment.
- Community service involvement.
- Customer service skills.
- Commitment to personal and professional development and in continuing training and education through ongoing learning.
- Training and experience working as a Firefighter
- Training and experience working as a Paramedic
- Training and experience working as a Police Officer.
- Advanced emergency medical training.
- Advanced technical rescue training.
- Advanced hazardous materials training.
- Experience working in a military/paramilitary environment.
- Any technical certificate/trade licence that would be beneficial to a firefighter's position, such as electrician, plumber, building inspector, mechanic, electronic/electrical technician
- Training and experience operating heavy vehicles.
- Training and experience using technology applicable to firefighting, including using communications tools, such as mobile radios.
- Post-secondary education, in an applicable or related field
- Multilingual, including sign language.
Is your dream and passion to join Toronto Fire Services?
Are you excited about serving the public in Canada's largest and most diverse city?
Would you like to find out more?
Check out this exciting new program by visiting our website at: www.toronto.ca/fire/careers
Follow us on Twitter @toronto_fire
Follow us on Instagram @torontofireservices
Like us on Facebook
- Before applying please review the above website carefully to ensure you understand the requirements of this opportunity
- Once you have confirmed that you have met all of the posted qualifications you are welcome to submit your application via TalentFlow
- You are not able to modify or reapply once your application has been submitted
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on Pre Screening Questionnaire. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
To avoid any delays in the recruitment process, if you require accommodation to apply or if selected to participate in an assessment process, you must provide your accommodation needs in advance. You may also be required to submit adequate medical/other documentation to Human Resources to support your request for accommodation.