Marine Engineer 2
On-Going Opportunities Description
Toronto is Canada's largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world's most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture, and are proud to be the Host City for the 2015 Pan American and Parapan American Games. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Marine Engineer 2 within our Parks, Forestry & Recreation Division.
- Although there may not be current vacancies, your resume will be kept on file for six (6) months and then deleted from our system. You must re-apply after six (6) months.
- Operates and maintains diesel engines and related mechanical equipment such as marine hoisting equipment on vessels.
- Inspects and effects repairs to all diesel and gasoline powered machinery and equipment.
- Advises Marine Engineer 1 when shutdown of engines and equipment is necessary
- Dismantles, cleans, repairs, overhauls, replaces and/or maintains diesel and gasoline powered engines and equipment as assigned
- Inspects and monitors air control systems, hydraulic systems, transmissions, steering gears, etc.
- Uses acetylene/welding equipment for minor welding repairs and cutting
- Performs pipe fitting on plumbing systems of all vessels
- Effects repairs to vessel electrical/lighting system and public address system
- Operates a variety of tools and equipment
- Performs mechanical maintenance work on marine plant
- May be required to provide work direction and training to other staff
- Performs a variety of skilled work not requiring the services of other licensed trades
- Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Must possess and be able to maintain a Certificate of Competency as a Third Class Engineer of a motor driven vessel in accordance with the regulations enforced in the Province of Ontario.
- May be required to possess and be able to maintain an Internal Combustion Hoisting Certificate in accordance with the regulations enforced in the Province of Ontario.
- Proven experience in operation of a marine vessel.
- Must possess and be willing to maintain a valid Medical Certificate of Fitness and a Marine First Aid Certificate as per Transport Canada Regulations.
- Extensive experience in the operation and maintenance of marine engine room equipment, including hoisting equipment.
You must also have:
- Ability to provide work direction and training to others.
- Ability to deal courteously with public.
- Must be familiar with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Marine Occupational Health & Safety Act and other the regulations that apply to this work.
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties.
- Must be available to work shift/weekend/overtime/on call duty.
- Must be able to work under adverse weather conditions, i.e. winter Ferry operations.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
To avoid any delays in the recruitment process, if you require accommodation to apply or if selected to participate in an assessment process, you must provide your accommodation needs in advance. You may also be required to submit adequate medical/other documentation to Human Resources to support your request for accommodation.