Laundry Services Worker
Toronto is Canada's largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world's most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Laundry Services Worker within our Long-Term Care Homes and Services Division.
NOTE TO CURRENT CITY OF TORONTO LOCAL 79 PART-TIME EMPLOYEES: If you are a current City of Toronto Local 79 part-time employee, you must indicate that you are a "Current Part-time employee" in the "Custom Information" section of your on-line application form, and provide your "Employee Number" in order to be considered for this job opportunity.
- Maintains linens and residents' belongings
- Picks up soiled laundry from resident rooms and returns cleaned laundry
- Operates washer and dryer
- Folds clean laundry or hangs laundry as appropriate
- Attaches and removes labels from residents' clothing, mends and performs minor repairs (sews by hand or operates sewing machine)
- Attends staff and committee meetings as part of a co-operative team approach for the wellbeing of the residents
- Attends in-services training as required
- Responds appropriately to residents' needs
- Performs other duties as assigned
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Experience in commercial or institutional laundry services or assembly line or warehouse/order picking.
You must also have:
- General knowledge of washing equipment, textiles and laundry formulae.
- Ability to maintain co-operative working relationships with residents and staff.
- Ability to read, write and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Fundamental knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, WHMIS and other legislation and regulations that relate to this work.
- Ability to perform various cleaning duties.
- Ability to operate, lift and move various equipment and heavy items.
- Willingness to work weekends, shifts and holidays as required.
- Ability and willingness to provide a service that enhances the dignity and respects the diversity of residents.
- Ability to support the Toronto Public Service values to ensure a culture that champions equity, diversity and respectful workplaces.
- Hours of Work can be up to 80 hours bi-weekly, however, Hours of Work will be decided based on operational needs.
- The Salary/Rate reflects the 2015 rates.
- As a condition of employment with the Long-Term Care Homes & Services Division, selected candidates will be required to provide a satisfactory Police Reference Check (PRC) with vulnerable sector screening, tuberculosis screening and proof of immunization in accordance with the Long-Term Care Homes Act (O.Reg.79/10).
- All applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.