Heavy Equipment Operator (Transportation)
On-Going Opportunities Description
Toronto is Canada's largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world's most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as Heavy Equipment Operator within our Transportation Services Division.
Although there may not be current vacancies, resumes will be kept on file for six (6) months and then deleted from our system. You must reapply after six (6) months.
- Operates heavy motorized equipment in a safe and efficient manner to maintain city property and transportation infrastructure
- Operates powered vehicles and equipment, including tandem axle trucks, trailers, rubber-tired-type front end loaders, tandem rollers, truck mounted articulated cranes (boom truck), backhoes, skid steer, street flushers, street sweepers, sander/salter and winter maintenance equipment including truck ploughs, self-propelled snow blowers, snow melters, etc. to move, load and unload materials. Uses chains and slings to position items. Installs or assists in installing attachments
- Performs maintenance and construction activities when not operating vehicles such as laying asphalt/concrete/sod, repair guide rails, install/repair fences, maintain boulevards, litter cleaning, grass cutting, weed trimming etc.
- May be required to interpret plans and drawings
- Makes minor repairs, maintenance, greases and cleans the equipment on the job
- Maintains vehicles in clean and tidy condition and makes daily inspection (including air brakes check) and reports defects, etc.
- Works with and may direct activities and provide work direction and training to other staff. Assists workers in various functions, e.g. loading and unloading of materials, etc.
- Completes written reports as required
- Performs other related work as assigned
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Proven experience and demonstrated ability in the operation of construction/utility equipment (and attachments) such as front-end loaders and tandem dump truck, as outlined in the responsibilities.
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario, Class "D" Driver's License (with "Z" endorsement) and must be able to obtain the City's equipment operating permits for the required vehicles.
- Demonstrated experience in maintenance and construction of roads, sidewalks, culverts, etc.
You must also have:
- Ability to maintain accurate records and to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal courteously with the public.
- Thorough knowledge of Provincial and City Traffic Laws.
- Must possess and be able to maintain any valid Province of Ontario requirements to operate mechanized equipment such as booms, etc.
- Must be available to work rotating shift /weekends/overtime and standby.
- Must have knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the regulations that apply to work this work.
- Knowledge and ability to perform minor repairs on equipment and to maintain equipment and/or vehicle in operation in a clean, tidy and safe condition.
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties and be able to work in all weather conditions.
- With the appropriate safety precautions, must be able to tolerate dusty, noisy, odorous conditions and heights.
- Must be able to drive in adverse and inclement weather for long periods of time.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
As you may be contacted via email, please ensure that your email address is kept up to date in your Candidate Profile.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.