- Performs skilled and semi-skilled tasks involved in general maintenance and repairs of facilities, building and grounds found within a golf course setting.
- Performs skilled and semi-skilled tasks involved in the installation, operation, maintenance, repair and adjustment of mechanical equipment related to golf courses not requiring the services of a licensed tradesperson.
- Performs winter maintenance and snow removal around course facilities.
- Prepares and maintains written reports and documents related to maintenance activities directly related to the job functions set out.
- Completes reports (e.g., Driver's Collision/Incident Report) related to assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Performs work in a safe, efficient and courteous manner.
- Requisitions supplies and maintains records of equipment, inventory and other assets.
- May perform general machine shop work.
- Operates various types of motor vehicles, tractors, dump trucks, loaders, trenchers and other specialized equipment, power tools and hand tools associated with the job functions.
- Maintains and repairs golf course semi-automatic and automatic irrigation systems including winterizing procedures (ensuring irrigation system operation throughout the season).
- Operates power equipment and specialized tools for sharpening and adjusting maintenance equipment specifically spin and relief grinders designed for golf course turf.
- May be required to assist contractors and trades workers.
- Demonstrates work and provides feedback.
- Organizes assigned work and arranges the necessary materials and equipment.
- Performs other duties at this wage grade level or lower such as labouring type duties, maintenance and cleaning activities when not operating assigned vehicle or equipment.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Experience in the testing, maintenance and general repair of all unlicensed mechanical equipment relative to golf course operations e.g., rotary and reel mowers, golf carts, various utility vehicles, farm tractors and other equipment used on golf courses or comparable experience.
- Experience in the sharpening of all cutting equipment and various grinding principles and techniques i.e., spin and relief grinding.
- Experience in the start-up, operation and winterizing of fully automated and semi-automated irrigation systems, buildings and equipment.
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario, Class "G" Driver's License and must have or shall be required to obtain required City permit for assigned vehicle(s) and equipment(s).
You must also have:
- Basic knowledge of the repair and operation of facilities on a golf course, i.e., plumbing and heating and air conditioners, minor electrical and septic systems not requiring the services of a licensed tradesperson.
- Must possess and be able to maintain as appropriate, any valid Province of Ontario requirements to operate mechanized equipment.
- Must be familiar with requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations for the safe performance of his/her duties and responsibilities or capable of obtaining familiarity of same.
- Ability to orient new staff on assigned vehicles/equipment.
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties (accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under the City's Employment Accommodation Policy and the Joint Modified Work Program in the Collective Agreement) and able to work in all weather conditions.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team including the ability to demonstrate work and provide training to others.
- Ability to compile and keep good maintenance records on a manual or computer system.
- Ability to communicate in relation to their job duties.
- Ability to deal courteously with the public.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.