- Sets up and closes the dental operatory daily
- Establishes temporary dental clinics by locating, setting up, operating, taking down and loading portable equipment
- Prepares solutions for use in clinic, i.e. cold sterilizing solutions, hypochlorite solution, cleaning agents cleans and sterilizes instruments and disinfects working area after each patient. Cleans and maintains dental equipment
- Assists dentist or dental hygienist in clinical duties at chairside, such as handing instruments, mixing dental materials, applying suction, activating x-ray machine and helping with patient management as required
- Processes, labels and files x-ray films
- Transports visual and audio aids, resource materials and dental promotional products. Packs equipment and arranges shipment of equipment and supplies to schools and other community locations
- Participates in the preparation of teaching lessons and materials. Participates in health fairs as directed. Participates in multidisciplinary public health committees
- Provides prescribed dental health instruction to groups and individuals. Demonstrates to patients the use of toothbrushes and dental floss and directs them in their use
- Carries out screening of residences in homes for senior citizens, including customizing of oral hygiene procedures for residents, labelling and brushing of dentures and instructing personal care workers on appropriate dental hygiene care for residents
- Performs various clerical duties, which include maintenance of defect lists and the administration of parent notification and consent cards for students. Checks records, consents and medical histories for completeness
- Records findings in dental records and data processing forms. Forwards patient records to appropriate public health clinic as necessary
- Completes and submits reports. Assists in annual file clear out
- Answers telephone, makes and confirms appointments, takes messages
- Receives and prepares patients for dental hygienist and dentist
- Contacts parents and teachers to obtain patient information. Contacts other clinics for appointments for further patient treatment. Contacts principals to schedule school visits
- Coordinates classroom visit schedules with teachers. Contacts and informs parents of children's urgent need for dental treatment
- Maintains stationary and dental supplies in assigned school clinics. Orders and verifies dental and office supplies as directed and stocks shelves. Prepares, sends out and receives laundry
- Trains and orientates new dental assistants and students from teaching institutions
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Graduate of Dental Assistant Course, or approved equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Experience in the use and maintenance of dental instruments and equipment.
- Experience in dental asepsis procedures.
- Experience in conducting dental health presentations to children and seniors.
You must also have:
- Must be willing to work with vulnerable populations (e.g. street involved youth, people with drug addiction, etc.)
- Ability to perform four handed dentistry.
- Possession of HARP Certificate is an asset.
- Good interpersonal skills and proficiency in patient management.
- Demonstrated ability to work in teams.
- Knowledge of Public Health dental programs.
- Ability to work anywhere in the City.
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
- Second Language is an asset.
- Ability to speak one or more of the following languages is desirable: Korean, Tamil, Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu, Spanish, Czech, Russian, Bengali, Hungarian, Arabic, Farsi, Pashtu and Dari.
Work Locations Information:
- 5100 Yonge Street; 12 Flemington Road; 1651 Keele Street; 8 Taber Road; 2398 Yonge Street at Montgomery; 160 Borough Drive; 2660 Eglinton Avenue East; 791 Queen Street East; 235 Danforth Avenue; 277 Victoria Street; 340 College Street; 2340 Dundas Street West; 95 Lavinia Avenue; 399 The West Mall; 185 Fifth Street; 5 Fairview Mall Drive; 1229 Queen Street West; 179 Gerrard Street East; 27 Tapscott Road; 1541 Jane Street; 80 Bond Street; 150 Berry Road; 540 Finch Ave West; 21 Panorama Court ; Mobile Dental Coach/Clinic
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at email@example.com, quoting the job ID #2271282 and the job classification title.