Job Stream: Parks , Recreation & Forestry
Applicants are required to demonstrate in their resume that their qualifications match the following: Failure to do so will result in elimination from the assessment opportunity.
Your resume must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
Under the supervision of the Captain, the Deckhand is required to perform duties of a varied nature on a vessel which include:
- Handles mooring lines and assists in the mooring of vessels
- Performs general maintenance and related work as assigned on vessels, ramps and docks
- Assists passengers getting on and off the vessel
- Provides information to the public and responds to public enquiries
- May be required to load and unload freight
- May be required to collect tickets from passengers boarding the vessel and counts passengers, when required
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Experience and versatility on marine vessels.
You must also have:
- Preference will be given to candidates in possession of a valid MED Certificate (Marine Emergency Duty Certificate).
- Must be in possession of a valid First Aid/CPR certificate and be willing to obtain and maintain an Advanced Marine First Aide Certificate.
- Ability to handle freight and assist passengers boarding and leaving vessels.
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with the public.
- Must be familiar with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Marine Occupational Safety & Health (MOSH) regulations that apply to this work.
- Must be physically capable of performing life saving and emergency duties. A Certificate of Fitness as prescribed by Transport Canada may be required.
- Must be able to work in all weather conditions.
- Must be available to work shift/weekend/overtime.