Corporate Accounting Assistant 2
Reporting to the Senior Financial Analyst, the Corporate Accounting Assistant 2 will assist with the year-end preparation of financial statements and related working papers, analysis of transactions and balances, and the reporting of financial transactions with the City's Agencies, Boards and Commissions (ABCs).
- Reconciles and monitors the City's general ledger accounts
- Prepares work sheets to covert ABCs' financial statements prepared in accordance with their respective Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) to Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB) rules for consolidation
- Computes funding between the City and the ABCs based on audited financial statements
- Responds to auditors' questions on the conversion work sheets
- Classifies ABCs' financial statements to determine conversion policies
- Monitors to ensure internal controls are followed in accordance with City By-laws (Financial Control By-law) and policies
- Prepares journal entries
- Assists with the preparation of the City's annual financial statements, Provincial Financial Information Return and other financial and statistical reports
- Assists in the preparation of reports for Standing Committees and Council
- Liaises with ABC's to ensure the timely billing of capital and operating budget draw and year-end reconciliation of inter-company balances
- Prepares payment requisitions for disbursements
- Prepares bank reconciliations
- Prepares and reviews statements for reporting to management, Divisions and other organizations
- Creates/executes ad hoc financial system reports for analysis purposes
- Provides advice and guidance when directing other Accounting staff
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Present enrollment towards the CPA Professional designation (e.g. CPA Professional Education Program (PEP), completed Core 1 and 2 course requirements) or the equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Considerable accounting experience in a public or private sector accounting environment.
- Considerable experience with computer based accounting systems, (e.g. SAP).
- Considerable experience using Microsoft Office Suite, (e.g. MS Excel and Word).
You must also have:
- Strong communication skills and ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with various levels of staff within the City and other organizations.
- Knowledge of municipal accounting principles and practices.
- Knowledge of Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB) standards.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills and ability to work cooperatively as a team member and exercise professional judgement and conduct.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge of financial and internal controls.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to meet tight deadlines, prioritize and deal with conflicting work demands in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to maintain accurate and orderly electronic and manual files.
- Knowledge of relevant policies, procedures, and federal and provincial legislation that would be relevant to this position.
- Ability to exercise independent judgement and discretion and handle confidential matters responsibly.
- Ability to work under minimum supervision.
- Ability to work overtime as required.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.