Corporate Accounting Assistant 1
Reporting to the Senior Financial Analyst for Tax Review, this position will work with maximizing commodity tax recovery, minimizing tax liabilities, handling tax queries from City Divisions and Agencies, issuing tax receipts, and answering external and internal auditors' queries. As well, this position will prepare HST returns and year-end tax account reconciliation. The primary functions associated with this position include, but are not limited to:
- Analyzes, reconciles and monitors the GST, HST, non-resident withholding tax, fuel tax and any new tax accounts
- Files monthly HST returns and HST rebate applications on a timely basis
- Files annual HST returns and rebates claims for the five non-Omers pension plans
- Prepares and issues T4A-NR tax slips to non-residents
- Monitors tax transactions to ensure tax compliance in accordance with tax rules and regulations and City By-laws (financial control by-law) and policies
- Prepares, reviews and posts journal entries
- Assesses the required sales taxes not shown on invoices
- Review the City's transactions and recover any commodity tax overpayments
- Reviews financial system reports to identify potential errors and omissions and takes corrective action
- Checks and prepares income tax receipts
- Reconciles, analyzes and prepares working papers to assist with the preparation of the Corporation's annual financial statements, Provincial Financial Information Return and other financial and statistical reports
- Monitors to ensure internal controls are followed in accordance with City By-laws (financial control by-law) and policies
- Monitors relevant tax statues and regulations, City by-laws and/or council directions for any changes
- Provides tax advices to divisions, agencies, boards and commissions
- Prepares reports for Standing Committees and Council
- Develops and writes computer reports using corporate financial software
- Participates in the design and development of new corporate tax procedures and policies
- Provides work direction, training, guidance and support to staff
- Assists with conducting Tax Information sessions
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Present enrollment towards the CPA Professional designation (e.g. CPA Professional Education Program (PEP), completed Core 1 and 2 course requirements) or the equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Extensive experience with computer based accounting systems, i.e. SAP.
- Extensive accounting experience in a public or private sector accounting environment.
- Considerable experience with Microsoft Office Suite (e.g. MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint).
- Experience in the design and development of user friendly training materials for computer related business application training.
You must also have:
- Must demonstrate an ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with various levels of staff within the City and other organizations.
- Excellent organizational, and multi-tasking skills with the ability to work independently with minimum supervision, prioritize work schedules, plan and execute assigned duties within timelines.
- Considerable experience in commodity tax recovery reviews
- Knowledge of GST/HST Sales Taxes, Income Tax Receipts rules, Non-resident Withholding Regulation 105, and fuel taxes.
- Considerable knowledge of municipal accounting principles and practices.
- Knowledge of Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB) standards.
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal and problem solving skills.
- Excellent knowledge of financial and internal controls.
- Knowledge of policies, procedures, and federal and provincial legislation that would be relevant to this position.
- Ability to work overtime as required.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at email@example.com, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.