Cleaner, Heavy Duty (Part-Time)
On-Going Opportunities Description
Toronto is Canada's largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world's most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture, and are proud to be the Host City for the 2015 Pan American and Parapan American Games. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Cleaner, Heavy Duty.
NOTE TO CURRENT CITY OF TORONTO LOCAL 79 PART-TIME EMPLOYEES: If you are a current City of Toronto Local 79 part-time employee, you must indicate this in the "Custom Information" section of your on-line application form that you are a "Current Part-time employee" and provide your "Employee Number" in order to be considered for this job opportunity.
- Although there may not be current vacancies, your resume will be kept on file for six (6) months and then deleted from our system. You must re-apply after six (6) months.
- Cleans, washes, strips, and waxes floors and stairs
- Vacuums and cleans carpeted areas
- Sets up, moves, and takes down furniture, tables, chairs, etc. for functions
- Cleans, polishes, dusts and disinfects washrooms, locker rooms, offices, resident rooms, windows, air ducts, stairwells, etc.
- Monitors and secures facilities and reports any damage, vandalism, etc.
- Performs maintenance duties, i.e. change A/C filters, grease motors, change belts, secures door hinges
- Cleans and stores equipment and machinery used
- Shovels snow, salts walkways and lots, cuts grass
- Maintains light fixtures and replaces bulbs and related appliances
- Loads and unloads supplies and replenishes
- Directs the parking in City of Toronto garage and entrance at public properties
- Defrosts refrigerators
- Stocks and maintains cleaning cart
- Picks up garbage and recyclables and removes to designated areas
- Performs storekeeping duties
- Delivers clean linen, gowns and clothing to resident rooms
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Experience in performing various cleaning, housekeeping and maintenance activities in an institutionalized environment.
- Experience in using floor maintenance machines, cleaning equipment, materials and solutions.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the provisions that apply to this work including WHMIS.
- Ability to lift, push, pull heavy items as well as climb ladders.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with staff, clients and the general public.
- Ability and willingness to work weekends, holidays and shifts as assigned as well as work in multiple locations.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions, prepare and maintain manual and electronic records.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
To avoid any delays in the recruitment process, if you require accommodation to apply or if selected to participate in an assessment process, you must provide your accommodation needs in advance. You may also be required to submit adequate medical/other documentation to Human Resources to support your request for accommodation.