Call Taker Paramedic Services
On-Going Opportunities Description
Toronto is Canada's largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world's most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as Call Taker Paramedic Services within our Toronto Paramedic Services Division.
Although there may not be current vacancies, resumes will be kept on file for six (6) months and then deleted from our system. You must reapply after six (6) months.
NOTE TO CURRENT CITY OF TORONTO LOCAL 79 PART-TIME EMPLOYEES: If you are a current City of Toronto Local 79 part-time employee, you must indicate that you are a "Current Part-time employee" in the "Custom Information" section of your on-line application form, and provide your "Employee Number" in order to be considered for this job opportunity.
- Provides outstanding customer service to all external and internal customers, including co-workers.
- Receives and processes all requests for ambulance service.
- Determines nature and urgency of requests for service and prioritizes relative to algorithm chart procedure.
- Confirms incoming information with caller, inputs data into computer, and routes same to dispatch desk together with any additional information provided by allied agencies e.g. Police, Fire Services, etc.
- Adheres to all protocols, procedures and practices relative to the call receiving function as provided through ongoing training and continuing dispatch education.
- Answers inquiries from public, agencies, etc. related to Paramedic Services.
- Maintains open communication with neighbouring EMS Communication Centres to effectively coordinate seamless, cross border response to both emergency and non-emergency call requests.
- Fosters and maintains a cooperative working relationship with allied emergency services communication personnel.
- Consistently meet all Toronto Paramedic Services and Ministry of Health and Long Term Care performance expectations including minimum accreditation call performance compliance.
- Demonstrates complete integrity at all times.
- Protects the confidentiality and privacy of each patient's personal health information at all times.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Must have Grade 12 diploma or equivalent as approved by Ontario Ministry of Education.
- Must possess current certification in CPR (C) and Standard First Aid training and maintain same throughout employment with Toronto Paramedic Services
- Experience and/or education required in public safety, health related fields, including but not limited to EMS, Police, and Fire Communications, Paramedicine, Nursing, Air Traffic Control, Telecommunications
- Experience working in a customer service environment.
You must also have:
- Ability to exercise good judgement in public relations when dealing with members of the public, allied agency personnel and co-workers.
- Ability and dexterity in handling call-taking functions using computer aided dispatch, and multi-line telephone systems.
- Ability to complete incident reports as per legislation.
- Ability to handle confidential and personal information and ensure the confidentiality of all records containing personal information under the custody or under control of CACC.
- Ability to identify critical tasks and prioritize same.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively in a multi-tasking high stress environment.
- Excellent decision making ability while performing under stressful conditions.
- Ability to appropriately respond to rapidly changing circumstances and ever changing technological systems.
- Ability to apply learned skills in practical, real-time application.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills and the proven ability to work effectively independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability and commitment to learn and maintain advanced knowledge of the geography of the Toronto area, including, but not limited to, major streets, highways, public transit, hospitals, primary medical facilities, therein.
- Ability to communicate effectively and clearly in English (both written and verbal) under stressful conditions.
- Excellent keyboarding skills commensurate with the demands of the position.
- Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Windows in a multi-screen computer environment.
- Ability to work 8, 10 or 12-hour rotating shifts including days, nights, weekends and statutory/religious holidays.
- Ability to work for sustained periods of time while physically connected to the telephone and computer aided dispatch console.
- Ability to maintain Emergency Medical Dispatcher certification in accordance with standards set by the International Academies of Emergency Dispatch (IAED).
- Hearing and vision (including colour vision) appropriate for call-taking functions are required.
- Successful candidates will be required to complete a three (3) day Certification course in Advance Emergency Medical Dispatcher by the International Academies of Emergency Dispatch (IAED) prior to job offer at the applicant's own expense.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.