Building Operator 1 - Permanent
On-Going Opportunities Description
Toronto is Canada's largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world's most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Building Operator 1 within our Facilities Management Division.
Although there may not be current vacancies, resumes will be kept on file for six (6) months and then deleted from our system. You must reapply after six (6) months.
- Performs assigned skilled and semi-skilled tasks in the installation, operation and repair of mechanical and electrical equipment and repairs required in connection with general building maintenance
- Operates a computerized Building Automation System (BAS) to manage/control Building Systems
- Performs general maintenance work in connection with mechanical and electrical equipment, building services and facilities
- Maintains a preventative maintenance program and records
- Operates air conditioning equipment including centrifugal chillers and cooling towers
- Performs plumbing repairs not requiring the services of a tradesman
- Effects minor repairs to building equipment and fixtures
- Performs related maintenance work as assigned including the use of ladders and scaffolding
- Assists tradesman as required
- Performs other related work as assigned
- May be required to work shifts (days, afternoons, midnights and weekends)
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Must have completed secondary school and possess a technician qualification in a building trade or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in the maintenance and operation of large computerized commercial buildings.
- Experience in air distribution systems as related to modern air conditioning systems.
- Experience in the maintenance of pumps and large air handling equipment.
- Experience in the operation and maintenance of fire safety equipment including sprinkler systems and other automatic fire suppression systems.
- Experience in troubleshooting electrical faults, with a thorough knowledge of operating generator and UPS power systems.
You must also have:
- A thorough knowledge of the operation of heating boilers and chemical treatment of chilled and hot water systems.
- A knowledge of automatic heating and cooling controls including pneumatic systems.
- An ability to read blueprints.
- An ability to read and perform tasks outlined in technical manuals and publications.
- An ability to maintain effective working relations with other staff.
- An ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- The ability to work all shifts for a 24/7 building operation.
- May be required to possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario Class "G" Driver's License and must qualify for the City's equipment operating permits and requirements.
Locations of Building Operator 1 roles are (Please specify in submission any locations you would be interested in, please select all that apply):
- City Hall
- Metro Hall
- Old City Hall
- Union Station
- St. Lawrence Market
- North York Civic Centre
- York Civic Centre
- Scarborough Civic Centre
- 1050 Ellesmere Road
- 150 Disco Road
- 21 Alness
- 703 Don Mills
- 4330 Dufferin Street
- 40 College St
- 60 Tiffield
**Please note most of our locations are on rotating 24/7 shifts. Some locations have fixed 8 hour shift schedules (e.g. Days, Afternoons, Evenings)**
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
As you may be contacted via email, please ensure that your email address is kept up to date in your Candidate Profile.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID #2262055 and the job classification title.