Budget Coordinator SSHA
Job Classification Title: BUDGET COORDINATOR SSHA
Job ID #: 2281565 X
Division: Shelter, Support & Housing Admin
Section: Program Support, Homelessness Initiatives & Prevention Services
Work Location: METRO HALL, 55 JOHN ST
Additional Location Details and/or 121 Bloor Street East
Job Stream: Accounting/Finance
Job Type: Perm/Temp, Full-Time
Temporary Duration: 12 Months
Salary/Rate: $86,795.80 - $101,974.60 / Year
Hours of Work (bi-weekly): 70.00
Shift Information: Monday - Friday, 35 hours/week
Number of Positions Open: 2
Posting Date: 10-Aug-2017
Closing Date: 24-Aug-2017
- There will be a change in location for this vacancy (121 Bloor Street East) by late fall (approximately October 2017).
Reporting to the Manager, Finance & Administration, the Budget Coordinator is responsible for the analysis, coordination, preparation, review, implementation, and monitoring of the operating and capital budgets, budget variance reports, revenues, staffing and special projects within the Division.
The primary functions associated with this position include but are not limited to:
- Coordinates, prepares, consolidates and analyzes the division's operating and capital budget in consultation with the programs, the Divisional Management and Corporate Financial Planning Team and provides guidance to Divisional Units on budget preparation to ensure accuracy and compliance to corporate requirements and guidelines.
- Ensures short and long term financial and operating objectives are being met and the Division's cost sharing relationship with the province is safeguarded.
- Monitors, evaluates and assists programs in regards to in-year expenditure and revenue performance, as compared to approved in-year budgets through analysis of the cause and effect of such variances, interprets the results and provides recommendations pertaining to the analysis.
- Analyzes and reports on key operational data that measure program effectiveness and administration efficiencies.
- Reviews the purchase of services and supplies (e.g. janitorial supplies, food, electrical supplies etc.) for hostel services, confirms whether purchases will remain within the budget, and approves the Request for Purchase of Goods and Services (RPGS).
- Establishes credible professional relationships with program management and staff that enable the provision of value-added strategic and financial planning advice with regard to their services, budget and operations.
- Oversees the division's complement management and administers the divisional staffing budget related to divisional staffing activity.
- Provides to Division staff budget related training and development, as well as information relating to the budgeted expenditures and financial control regarding Corporate, Divisional and Unit goals/priorities.
- Establishes, maintains and recommends modifications to enhance and sustain reporting systems (i.e. utilizing Microsoft Excel) in order to provide accurate and timely information to division management, council members, other levels of government and the media and to ensure compliance with corporate requirements.
- Supervises, motivates and trains assigned staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others.
- Coordinates, and performs research and analysis to prepare reports, including preparing reports to the Province, as required by the service contract.
- Participates in financial control system reviews to ensure the integrity of program payments and revenue streams.
- Post-secondary education in a discipline pertinent to the job function such as accounting or finance or the equivalent combination of education and experience. A professional accounting designation (CPA) would be considered an asset.
- Considerable experience in the application of the principles and practices of operating and capital budget formulation, financial planning, and budget control.
- Experience coordinating large volume subsidies from federal/provincial ministries and other external funding sources.
- Ability to conduct business process reviews and analysis to streamline and improve work efficiencies.
- Strong research, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge of the General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and accounting standards for public sector (Public Sector Accounting Board).
- Knowledge of computer based accounting systems, budgeting systems, databases, as well as budget and financial systems, such as SAP.
- Proficiency with various software packages including Microsoft Office Word and advanced level Excel.
- Superior analytical and highly developed interpersonal, conflict resolution and problem solving skills with the ability to interact, work and communicate effectively with senior management and staff at all organizational levels.
- Ability to supervise unionized staff, and to motivate and train staff in budget and accounting systems.
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with relevant collective agreements and government legislation i.e. Occupational Health and Safety, and regulations governing social services.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.