|Job Classification Title||BUDGET ANALYST|
|Job ID #||2280137 X|
|Section||Transportation Infrastructure Management|
|Work Location||CITY HALL, 100 QUEEN ST W|
|Job Type||Permanent, Full-Time|
|Salary/Rate||$39.85 - $43.66 / Hour|
|Hours of Work (bi-weekly)||70.00|
|Shift Information||Monday-Friday 35 hours per week|
|Number of Positions Open||1|
Reporting to the Manager, the Budget Analyst will be responsible for:
- Performs research and prepares operating and capital budget submissions and financial status reports
- Creates spreadsheets, presentations and provides additional documentation to support the division's operating and capital budget submissions
- Liaises with Finance staff in establishing new Divisional account code requirements and assists in the preparation of financial reports and budget-related correspondence
- Coordinates the timely granting of funds for tendering and award of capital projects, ensures funds are allocated to proper accounts, monitors capital funding , identifies carry forward funding needs and arranges for the return of unspent funds
- Reviews in-year spending of the transportation capital works budget to ensure project expenditures are controlled and maintained within budget limitations and releases authorized capital fund expenditures for Engineering & Construction Services and Transportation Services projects
- Tracks capital and operating budget project progress, expenditures, commitments, completion status and yearend projections
- Develops, prepares , maintains monthly budget variance including financial analysis, forecast reports and performance measures
- Develops and prepares financial statements to advise management on the financial status of various capital and operating budget items, using information extracted from corporate and divisional accounting systems and databases
- Reviews Divisional financial statements for accuracy and completeness, determines accounts to be charged on all types of accounting documents
- Reviews and analyses various expenses and revenue (e.g. payroll, contribution from reserve funds, etc.) and generates appropriate adjustments and timely management information reports
- Reviews payment request to and from agencies to determine accuracy, availability of funds and compliance with funding agreement, issues payment requisition and liaises with agencies to clarify and resolve issues
- Maintains up-to-date corporate and divisional accounting systems and databases, reporting on availability of capital and operating accounts and funds
- Researches and collects data for reporting the effectiveness and efficiency of Divisional / Unit programs based on performance measurement criteria
- Conducts cost benefit studies and financial research on divisional operations from concept to completion
- Liaises with staff in other Divisions including Accounting Services, Financial Planning, Engineering & Construction Services, Policy, Planning, Finance & Administration (PPFA), and, assists in the preparation of financial reports and budget-related correspondence
- Reviews and updates current Divisional procedures as required to facilitate coordination of the division's budget submission, etc.
- Attends meetings with divisional management teams to provide and clarify information, resolve issues and for financial management support
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Post-secondary education in business, accounting or other relevant discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience. A professional accounting designation or currently working towards a professional accounting designation would be an asset.
- Significant experience with financial statements, accounting or financial analysis in major public or private sector organization(s).
- Significant experience working with computer based accounting and budgeting systems, spreadsheets and databases using SAP and Excel, as they relate to financial analysis and budgets. Knowledge of CAPTOR an asset.
- Experience in the preparation of budgets, budget statements, business cases, variance analysis, accounts reconciliation and project accounting.
You must also have:
- A high level of skill in the discipline of extraction of large amounts of data from corporate systems and organizing and analyzing that data for the purpose of transforming the data into information for management decision making.
- Sound knowledge of financial and accounting principles and practices, maintenance of general and subsidiary ledgers, deployment of control accounts, reconciliation of accounts, age analysis of receivables, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), proficiency in mathematical calculations and high degree of accuracy with figures.
- Familiarity with public sector performance measurement and the ability to research and track useful process and product measures for reporting the effectiveness and efficiency of Divisional programs.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing, with all levels of staff and with external clients.
- Ability to work in teams and maintain cooperative relationships.
- A well-developed sense of discretion in handling information related to confidential operating matters.
- Ability to work independently with only general direction.
- Ability to work in a customer service environment, addressing the service inquires, requests and complaints of clients, the general public and/or staff.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID #2280137 and the job classification title.