- Performs research and prepares operating and capital budget submissions and financial status reports
- Creates spreadsheets and provides additional documentation to support the division's operating and capital budget submissions
- Prepares budget schedules and takes necessary action to effect and maintain control of budget adjustments throughout the year
- Tracks capital budget project progress, expenditures, commitments, completion status and yearend projections
- Develops, prepares and maintains monthly budget variance including financial analysis, forecast reports and performance measures
- Develops and prepares financial statements to advise management on the financial status of various operating budget items, using information extracted from corporate and divisional accounting systems and databases
- Reviews Divisional financial statements for accuracy and completeness, determines accounts to be charged on all types of accounting documents, and liaises with Finance staff in establishing new Divisional account code requirements
- Reviews and analyses various expenses and revenue (e.g. payroll, contribution from reserve funds, etc.) and generates appropriate adjustments and timely management information reports
- Reviews payment request from agencies to determine accuracy, availability of funds and compliance with funding agreement, issues payment requisition and liaises with agencies to clarify and resolve issues
- Prepares subsidy claim files, processes subsidy requests and assists in annual information returns
- Maintains and updates life-to-date files for reserve funds to report on availability of funds
- Reviews all materials and purchase requisitions for availability of funds
- Researches and collects data for reporting the effectiveness and efficiency of Divisional / Unit programs based on performance measurement criteria
- Conducts cost benefit studies and financial research on divisional operations from concept to completion
- Assists in preparing audit working papers for external auditors
- Liaises with staff of Accounting Services, Payroll and Financial Planning, and assists in the preparation of financial reports and budget-related correspondence
- Reviews and updates current Divisional procedures as required to facilitate coordination of the division's budget submission, etc.
- Attends meetings to provide and clarify information and resolve issues
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Degree in accounting, business or completed or partially completed accounting designation (CPA), or approved combination of education and experience.
- Experience in the preparation of operating/capital budgets and complex financial statements.
- Experience with variance analysis and accounts reconciliation.
- Experience working with computer based accounting system, spreadsheets and databases using Microsoft Excel.
- Experience in financial systems (e.g. SAP).
You must also have:
- A high level of skill in the discipline of extraction of large amounts of data from corporate systems and organizing and analyzing that data for the purpose of transforming the data into information for management decision making.
- Sound knowledge of financial and accounting principles and practices, maintenance of general and subsidiary ledgers, deployment of control accounts, age analysis of receivables, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), proficiency in mathematical calculations and high degree of accuracy with figures.
- Familiarity with public sector performance measurement and the ability to research and track useful process and product measures for reporting the effectiveness and efficiency of Divisional programs.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing, with all levels of staff and with external clients.
- Ability to work in teams and maintain cooperative relationships.
- A well-developed sense of discretion in handling information related to confidential operating matters.
- Ability to work independently with only general direction.
- Ability to work in a customer service environment, addressing the service inquires, requests and complaints of clients, the general public and/or staff.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.