Reporting to the Manager, Strategic Initiatives, Policy & Analysis, the Assistant Planner will provide planning support to Managers, Project Managers, Senior Planners and Planners as well as related work program tasks as follows:
- Collects, compiles, and analyzes data and information on demographic, economic, legal, social, cultural and physical information relating to urban land use and transportation planning
- Evaluates the impact of a range of planning applications and initiatives
- Supports the preparation and/or review of reports, studies, specialized research and information
- Supports community engagement initiatives for various planning and policy studies
- Designs, coordinates, and implements surveys and planning studies, information bulletins and manuals
- Responds to requests for information from consultants, developers, staff from other agencies and governments, elected officials and the public. Arranges for the production of reports. Maintains Divisional reports and records
- Prepares maps, diagrams, charts, tables, and other presentation materials, using office productivity software and geospatial, statistical and other computer applications
- Participates in the development and maintenance of planning information applications and systems
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Post-secondary education in urban and regional planning, urban geography or in a professional discipline pertinent to the job function, or the equivalent combination of education and experience and membership, or eligibility for membership, in the Canadian Institute of Planners.
- Experience with municipal planning and public consultation.
- Experience with planning assignments (studies, research and/or policy) demanding critical judgement and analytical thinking.
- Experience preparing technical letters, reports and notices for management, internal staff, elected officials, other agencies, and the public.
- Experience using research methodologies including quantitative analysis, descriptive statistics, and field survey methods in the collecting, analyzing and interpreting of planning information such as land use, demographic, economic and environmental data.
- Experience with corporate computer applications such as MS Office and Amanda/IBMS or other database applications.
You must also have:
- Strong verbal, written and presentation communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain strong internal and external relationships and to interact positively and professionally with the public in an information service role
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team under time constraints and to meet deadlines
- Familiarity with reading architectural drawings would be an asset.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation, such as the Planning Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Ontario Human Rights Code and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act (AODA).
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
To avoid any delays in the recruitment process, if you require accommodation to apply or if selected to participate in an assessment process, you must provide your accommodation needs in advance. You may also be required to submit adequate medical/other documentation to Human Resources to support your request for accommodation.