Assistant Planner, Community Planning
On-Going Opportunities Description
Please Note: Although there may not be current vacancies, your resume will be kept on file for six (6) months and then deleted from our system. You must re-apply after six (6) months.
- Reporting to the Manager, Community Planning, the Assistant Planner will evaluate the implications and provide assistance on a range of planning initiatives, including planning studies, development applications and related work program tasks.
- Coordinates work regarding site plans, some Official Plan Amendments, rezonings and subdivisions, including database updating and analyses, site visits, planning issue review, report preparation, and giving evidence at the OMB
- Assignments may include preparing materials, organizing and chairing community meetings and preparing reports for Community Council
- Evaluates the implications of a range of planning initiatives
- Prepares maps, diagrams, charts, tables, and other presentation materials, manually or using computer programs/applications
- Responds to requests for information from developers, consultants, staff from other agencies and governments, elected officials and the public
- Organizes and participates in meetings to exchange information on development proposals, policies under review, and other planning issues
- Designs, coordinates and implements surveys and planning studies
- Collects, compiles, and analyzes data and information on demographic, economic, legal, social, cultural and physical information relating to urban land use planning
- University degree in planning or related degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in analytical thinking and problem solving.
- Experience using a variety of computer software (e.g. Word, e-mail).
- Experience in preparing technical letters, reports and notices.
- Good verbal, written and presentation communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret architectural plans.
- Effective interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate both verbally (often involving public presentations) and in writing, to all levels of the organization, and with elected officials, the media and the public.
- The ability to deal effectively with the community, developers, consultants, other City Divisions, and public and private agencies.
- The ability to prioritize and complete project assignments working both independently and as a part of a team.
- Working knowledge of the Planning Act, Provincial Policies and Legislation related to land use planning, transportation planning, the Official Plan, and the Development Review Processes, as well as current regulations and evolving policy trends in the City.
- Ability to work independently under time constraints and to meet deadlines.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
To avoid any delays in the recruitment process, if you require accommodation to apply or if selected to participate in an assessment process, you must provide your accommodation needs in advance. You may also be required to submit adequate medical/other documentation to Human Resources to support your request for accommodation.