Administrative Assistant 2
The position will be at various locations but will start at Metro Hall (55 John Street) and North York Civic Centre (5100 Yonge Street) and be required to travel to various Toronto Water locations as needed.
Performs varied administrative duties and program support functions for the General Manager Toronto Water and/or to the assigned Toronto Water Director(s), Toronto Water.
- Performs varied administrative duties and clerical functions in connection with the operation of an organizational section to which they may be assigned. May provide work direction and training to assigned staff.
- Provides support to the Administrative Assistant 1 in the General Manager's Office and performs back-up duties in his/her absence.
- Exercises caution and discretion with labour relations, personnel and other confidential information. Types correspondence including that of a confidential nature, such as disciplinary letters.
- Handles scheduling of appointments and ensures that the appropriate information is provided.
- Conducts background research, investigations and retrieves information on various issues.
- Screens, reviews and prioritizes incoming mail, processes correspondence, and initiates response.
- Ensures that the tracking and following up of requests is maintained and deadlines are met.
- Monitors and controls the workflow of the unit, ensuring adherence to relevant policies.
- Liaises with and exchanges information with all levels of staff, elected officials and the public
- Prepares and processes various documents/statistical summaries/reports requiring the assessment and analysis of data. Drafts correspondence, composes and types letters and memoranda and routes or answers correspondence.
- Checks work for accuracy and conformity with regulations, policies and procedures and corrects/resolves outstanding/incorrect items prior to signature.
- Operates various office equipment and computers utilizing a variety of desktop applications and corporate systems. Prepares presentation material utilizing detailed layout and formatting.
- Coordinates and maintains a complex record/retrieval system. Maintains supplies and inventories.
- Responds to enquiries and complaints from senior staff, the public, agencies, and other levels of government utilizing in-depth knowledge of procedures, regulations, criteria, etc. and records detailed messages.
- Assists with budget administration for the unit. Administers petty cash.
- Coordinates meetings, events and schedules. Takes/transcribed minutes as required
- Maintains continuous awareness of municipal matters, departmental administrative systems and procedures, organization structures in the division, and major activities in order to provide effective administrative assistance.
- Prepares and organizes Council materials (including confidential and employment/labour relation matters), background, briefing notes. Formats Committee reports prior to signature.
- Considerable experience providing administrative support to senior management, handling a broad range of administrative matters, standard office practices and procedures, some of which must relate specifically to the actual duties of the position.
- Considerable experience in the use of a variety of software packages including advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (including but not limited to Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Visio and Outlook), to prepare correspondence, presentations, create statistical reports and charts related to organizing, analyzing and reporting data.
- Considerable experience in planning and organizing appointments, meetings, interviews, conferences and special events.
- Considerable experience in the preparation, drafting, editing and formatting of complex reports, correspondence, charts, tables and statements to Council and Committees.
- Experience working with confidential materials/information for senior management and ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion in dealing with highly confidential operational matters and with management staff.
- Experience in developing and implementing administrative work procedures and systems.
- Highly developed customer service and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, at all organizational levels, including the political level, members of the public and external partners and agencies.
- Must be flexible to work at various locations and must be flexible to work long hours in peak periods and able to work flexible hours, including weekends and evening as required.
- Considerable experience in taking minutes at meetings, required follow up activities and handling confidential and complex documents and reports.
- Ability to research and gather information.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with proven ability to handle sensitive issues.
- Ability to work independently and effectively with minimal supervision, prioritizing work schedule, complete assigned duties within timelines.
- Must be resourceful, flexible, adaptable, and possess a high degree of common sense and initiative.
- Knowledge of, and the ability to handle municipal operations, Council proceedings, and current political issues
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, including attention to details, ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and deal with conflicting priorities and work demands.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at email@example.com, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.