Accounting Assistant 3
On-Going Opportunities Description
Toronto is Canada's largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world's most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as Accounting Assistant 3 within our Policy, Planning, Finance & Administration Division.
Although there may not be current vacancies, resumes will be kept on file for six (6) months and then deleted from our system. You must reapply after six (6) months.
- Researches and analyzes financial information. Prepares financial reports and other financial information
- Reviews, analyzes and reconciles accounts, including commitments, parked documents and customer accounts
- Processes vendor invoices for payment processing prior to submission to accounts payable and ensures compliance with divisional signing authority limits and corporate policies and procedures and relevant bylaws
- Liaises with corporate finance and divisional staff to resolve outstanding accounting issues
- Provides assistance and advice on accounting and financial related matters to the divisions
- Researches and analyzes accounting/financial documents to verify validity of transactions processed in SAP
- Reviews, analyzes General Ledger expenditure and revenue accounts, processes reclassification adjustments
- Performs a variety of accounts receivable functions such as bank deposits, generating accounts receivable invoices and posting customer payments
- Processes purchasing documents such as Purchase Requisitions, Divisional Purchase Orders, Purchase Orders, Contract Release Orders against Blanket Contracts ensuring compliance with divisional and corporate policies, procedures and all relevant by laws
- Administers and maintains the Petty Cash Fund including the preparation of the Petty Cash summary form for the replenishment of the float ensuring compliance with divisional and corporate policies, procedures and all relevant by laws
- Liaises with internal and external parties to address all financial related matters
- Able to work out of more than one location on a continuous basis
- Prepares working papers and processes period end and year end entries
- Assists on projects and assignments and other duties as assigned
- Responsible for records management activities
- Provides work direction to Accounting Assistant 4 (AA4) and other staff
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- A bachelor degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration. Present enrolment towards completion of a professional accounting designation (i.e. completion of at least 2 completed modules at the Professional Educational Level (PEP) of the Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) program and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience in accounting.
- Considerable experience in municipal accounting or relevant private sector experience in accounting.
- Considerable experience in the analysis, investigation and processes relating to accounts receivable and/or accounts payable.
- Considerable experience in analyzing financial data and preparing financial reports.
- Intermediate Microsoft Office Word and Excel (i.e. VLOOKUP, pivot tables and pivot charts etc.)
- Experience in financial information system, such as SAP or an equivalent accounting system.
You must also have:
- Working knowledge of the City's accounting procedures, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Corporate Financial Control, Purchasing By-laws and federal and provincial legislation relevant to the position.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of staff and the public.
- Ability to handle multiple projects, prioritize and work in a fast paced team environment.
- Thorough understanding of account structures and integration between various modules within SAP financial system.
- Knowledge of financial and internal controls.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively as a member of a team.
- Ability to work under time constraints and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to plan, organize and manage work with minimal supervision and complete number of tasks simultaneously for multiple management staff.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
As you may be contacted via email, please ensure that your email address is kept up to date in your Candidate Profile.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
To avoid any delays in the recruitment process, if you require accommodation to apply or if selected to participate in an assessment process, you must provide your accommodation needs in advance. You may also be required to submit adequate medical/other documentation to Human Resources to support your request for accommodation.