Accounting Assistant 1
To perform accounting duties pertaining to property leases, tax reconciliations, rental payments of leases, rent roll reconciliations, accounts receivable for various property tenants, payables, purchasing, internal control and in researching, analyzing and reconciling to general ledger, ensures compliance with established corporate policies, procedures and practices and responsible for organizing and developing an accounting system for Union Station.
- Performs accounting duties such as reviewing, researching, analyzing and reconciling ledger accounts, setting up and maintaining expenditures and revenue working papers, spreadsheets and reconciliation to general Ledger for commercial and residential properties.
- Prepares yearly CAM costs for properties, responsible for preparing and overseeing monthly rent roll reconciliations and collection of monthly rental payments for tenants.
- Prepares and maintains accounts receivable functions including bank deposits and reconciliation, preparing, reviewing, posting and reconciling journals entries including accrual entries and adjusting entries.
- Ensure accuracy and completeness of period close on a quarterly and on a yearly basis.
- Prepare tenant recovery reconciliations, annual statement of recoverable operating costs and realty taxes.
- Researches and analyzes financial and property information and oversee lease administration.
- Oversee collection of rents, posting of charges and application of payments to tenant accounts and analyze tenant accounts as needed.
- Oversee monthly outstanding rents received from tenants and advises Property Manager of corrective action that need to be taken.
- Prepares financial statements and expenditure reports i.e. capital expenditure reports, variance reports, Council initiated special projects expenditure reports, and reserve fund schedules and submits as requested to senior management.
- Reviews financial system reports, i.e., variance, cost center, miscellaneous accounts. Makes comments or corrections as necessary.
- Prepare requested reports and schedules as needed by senior management.
- Prepares the monthly departmental financial statements and other financial information for divisions, Provincial and Federal Governments.
- Prepares other ad hoc financial and statistical reports to the Provincial and Federal Government.
- Co-ordinates with the City, Provincial and Federal Auditors and prepares working papers for year-end closing.
- Coordinate and be responsible for external lease audits, including audit queries.
- Provides assistance on accounting & financial related matters to the Divisions.
- Provides financial analysis, claims and other information to the Divisions as requested.
- Creates ad hoc financial system reports for analysis purposes.
- Assist with preparation and review of annual property operating budgets.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Currently designated or enrolled in an accounting program (CMA, CGA, CA) and/or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Considerable commercial and residential real estate accounting experience.
- Considerable experience using Microsoft Office (Excel) and financial information systems (SAP, RFMS, etc.).
You must also have:
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a deadline driven environment.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge in using Property Accounting Software, Microsoft Office Applications and ERP systems.
- Advanced knowledge of current accounting procedures and techniques pertaining to the function.
- Ability to prepare detailed correspondence, memoranda, summaries, financial statements, and documentation requiring the interpretation and application of a wide range of administrative accounting practices.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of staff, divisional operating management.
- Advanced knowledge of financial accounting and internal control.
- Ability to perform complex detailed computation and calculations.
- Ability to work under time constraints and to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to plan, organize and manage work independently with minimal supervision and co-operatively as a member of a team.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID #2275891 and the job classification title.