Underwriting Professional Associate - Environmental Risk
Chubb is the world’s largest publicly traded property and casualty insurer. With operations in 54 countries, Chubb provides commercial and personal property and casualty insurance, personal accident and supplemental health insurance, reinsurance and life insurance to a diverse group of clients. The company is distinguished by its extensive product and service offerings, broad distribution capabilities, exceptional financial strength, underwriting excellence, superior claims handling expertise and local operations globally.
The insurance companies of Chubb serve multinational corporations, mid-size and small businesses with property and casualty insurance and services; affluent and high net worth individuals with substantial assets to protect; individuals purchasing life, personal accident, supplemental health, homeowners, automobile and other specialty insurance coverage; companies and affinity groups providing or offering accident and health insurance programs and life insurance to their employees or members; and insurers managing exposures with reinsurance coverage.
Chubb’s Canadian branches are Toronto, Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver.
We are currently recruiting for an Underwriting Professional Associate to join our Environmental Risk team in Toronto. We are looking for individuals with a background in Science, Engineering, Environmental Studies or similar, who demonstrate superior team work, leadership, interpersonal skills, analytical and decision making ability, business acumen, organizational skills and communication ability. In this role, you will develop the skills necessary to fully analyze Environmental risks and develop comprehensive referrals. You will also play an active role within Chubb by providing service to our existing Environmental book and interface with our producers and brokers to develop winning solutions.
ABOUT ENVIRONMENTAL RISK:
Chubb is a leader in providing Environmental Liability insurance. Regardless of size or industry sector, companies can benefit from a wide range of tailored pollution liability coverages to help manage future, potentially unforeseen exposure. From manufacturing to healthcare to agriculture, just about any kind of business can be impacted by environmental liabilities. The interesting aspect of this job is that you could be looking at the environmental risks of a manufacturing plant one day, and an airport, school, or hospital the next!
Chubb’s Professional Associate Program is renowned for providing comprehensive and state of the art training. Our training program ensures that you begin your career with the tools and training necessary to succeed in a variety of roles within the underwriting career path.
As a Professional Associate in Environmental Risk, you will have the opportunity to learn more about various industries and segments and the pollution related risks they face. You will also participate in the Early Career Development Program (ECDP), a blended curriculum that includes coordinated classroom training, webinar training, online self-study, on-the-job learning, group project work, mentoring and networking. By design, the program includes exposure to various functional units, internal learning programs and professional designation studies. As part of the ECDP, you will receive:
- Business training unique to a career at Chubb;
- Technical training to deepen your skill level;
- An understanding of our broader industry;
- Interpersonal effectiveness training to help you gain strong communication and interactive skills;
- An assigned coach who will guide you as you manage your portfolio;
- Access to additional training to complement your professional development.
Chubb also encourages you to continuously develop your professional skills and supports your external training through our Education Assistance Program, which offers tuition reimbursement, study and exam days, and designation awards.
Overall, your training will never stop at Chubb.
From the moment you join Chubb, you will begin the process of learning and applying a variety of underwriting skills. You will be given a “book of business” to manage and your success will come from your own efforts. To be successful, you will need to cultivate and maintain strong relationships with your assigned group of external brokers. This will allow you to learn more about their clients’ needs and encourage the broker to submit their business to us. Your strong relationships will make your brokers want to choose you and Chubb over the other insurance carriers they do business with.
Once a risk is submitted, you will investigate, evaluate and analyze it to determine if it is a risk worth insuring. In order to do so, you will need to learn about and understand the client’s risk. You will develop appropriate contract wording and pricing. Finally, you will negotiate and market our product to your brokers in order to secure new business and retain existing business.
Ultimately, your analytical abilities and strong broker relationships will help Chubb grow profitably and reach our overall business targets.
- Develop the skills necessary to underwrite and perform the function of account coordinator on accounts and new business/renewals within company guidelines. Develop and maintain strong relationships with external brokers/producers.
- Responsible for production, broker calls, and broker/client relations in an effort to generate new business opportunities and retain existing accounts which meet Chubb’s strategies and underwriting guidelines.
- Interact with underwriters, senior underwriters, and management on a regular basis for general underwriting direction and business strategy.
- Learn to develop risk pricing by analyzing environmental site assessments reports environmental management plans, claims experience, financial information, utilizing pricing tools and worksheets, as well as experience in underwriting exposures pertaining to environmental risks.
- Learn to negotiate and binds terms, conditions and premium for new and renewal accounts within individual assigned portfolio.
- Ensure timely processing of premium and issuance policy documents for assigned accounts.
- Assist in maintaining department’s level of productivity and service.
- Assist senior underwriters and manager with complex accounts.
- Participate in self-development activities to improve or develop knowledge of underwriting or business-related subjects.
- Post-secondary degree with a background in Science, Engineering, Environmental Studies or similar specialization.
- Proven leadership and decision-making skills.
- Proven interpersonal and team building skills, with an ability to work effectively with colleagues at all levels.
- Must demonstrate integrity, enthusiasm and drive to deliver team and corporate goals.
- Aptitude for evaluating, analyzing and interpreting information.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, negotiation skills.
- Effective time management and organizational skills
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and unofficial transcript in confidence to:
Jacqueline Wong, Human Resources Consultant
At Chubb we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants based on job-related qualifications and ability to perform a job. If you require an accommodation during the hiring process or upon hire, please inform Human Resources. If a selected applicant requests accommodation during the recruitment process, Chubb will consult with the applicant in order to provide suitable accommodation that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs.
For additional information about Chubb or its services, please visit our website at http://www.chubbinsurance.ca.
TalentEgg will send your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org