Apprentice Scrum Master Co-op
The Scrum Master Apprentice is responsible for supporting the Agile team to implement and adapt agile processes. Apprentices do this mainly by assisting Scrum masters and providing administrative guidance to the project teams. You will be shadowing a Scrum master in order to gain experience and achieve mastery as Scrum Master yourself. The Scrum Master Apprentice will offer support to the greater Agile Centre of Excellence group as they work with teams to help foster a new way of working.
As an apprentice, you will;
- Serve as a team member as part of the Agile Centre of Excellence and will support the organization’s efforts to implement, adopt and sustain Agile processes, principles, and practices
- Help teams understand the roles, artifacts and basic rules of Scrum
- Provide relevant domain knowledge around technology and ideas on how to incorporate Scrum
- Remove team impediments that prevent or hinder team capability and cohesion
- Advocate for the scrum team across the organization and actively question practices and approaches that are not in-line with scrum theory
- Assist Scrum Masters in day to day operations of Scrum teams
- Create communication forums for the product owner, scrum team and associated stakeholders to ensure the vision, goals and product delivery commitments are visible and well understood
- Help employees and stakeholders understand and enact scrum as well as empirical and emergent product development, welcoming change that enhances the productivity of the team
- Studying Computer Science, Engineering, Business Technology Management or related
- You have some Scrum experience working in engineering teams and ideally as part of an evolving, transformative business change (an asset)
- You have knowledge and experience as part of the SDLC as a developer or analyst
- You have a willingness to learn, curiosity and attitudes that reflect BMO values
- You are collaborative, team oriented and comfortable working with a wide range of roles and at differing levels across the organization
- You are not afraid to raise issues and remove impediments from your team(s)
- You care about learning new things and improving existing challenges
- You have passion for agile and know when and how to advocate and temper this enthusiasm in the context of a large, organizational transformation.
- You can motivate and model open communication to help surface issues for faster resolution
- Development Teams - team guidance, support, and coaching in close cooperation and collaboration across all roles and functions
- Technology Management Roles - Present state of Agile practices, propose change initiatives, gain group consensus and approval, exchange ideas and align change activities
- Project Management - Guidance and understanding of agile principles and practices
- Business Management - Guidance and understanding of agile principles and practices
Knowledge & Skills: (preferred but not mandatory)
- 2-3 years of experience in software development and/or project delivery Apprentice practitioner of Scrum
- Apprentice practitioner of Lean/Kanban principles and practices
- Experience as part of the SDLC as a business analyst, quality assurance analyst, IT analyst or Developer
- Ability to facilitate discussion at all levels of the organization to resolve conflicts
- Stays current in the Agile space as exemplified by ongoing education in Agile frameworks training, conference attendance, user group participation and self-study
- Working knowledge of Agile development methods/techniques (such as User Stories. Test Driven Development, continuous testing…)
We’re here to help
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do – helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future—the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we’re changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com.
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.